Make your Own Propaganda!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/

April is the month in which - alone or with friends - to write a scrip or screenplay.

It's a bit of a gauntlet I am throwing in the ring here :D as I am a believer I can do better than what is out there, but - since I am a NaNoWriMo participant and winner of 2010 (<nod>) I also know it is not easy to hammer out 50k words in 30 days or, as in the script case, 100 pages. At least the script frenzy can be done with friends.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/

April is the month in which - alone or with friends - to write a scrip or screenplay.

It's a bit of a gauntlet I am throwing in the ring here :D as I am a believer I can do better than what is out there, but - since I am a NaNoWriMo participant and winner of 2010 (<nod>) I also know it is not easy to hammer out 50k words in 30 days or, as in the script case, 100 pages. At least the script frenzy can be done with friends.

This could be interesting...

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to, but I already have a film project in the works...

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Gotta finish the promo short films first and get them shot before I get to that. Time is the problem.
:D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, I've never written anything like this, so I'll try to stick to settings I'm familiar with. I harbor no delusions of grandeur, and really hope only to emerge at the end with a 100 page script that contains a coherent story with a beginning, middle and satisfactory conclusion. We'll see. :D

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I've never written anything like this, so I'll try to stick to settings I'm familiar with. I harbor no delusions of grandeur, and really hope only to emerge at the end with a 100 page script that contains a coherent story with a beginning, middle and satisfactory conclusion. We'll see. :D

LOL, allow yourself to stink ^_^

But for NaNo the support forum was pretty good, a place to bounce ideas around. I think they will have the same for the frenzy.

I have no idea tho...but there is still a bit time... not to mention I am not familiar with the format...

(but then again, so it stinks...it happens to professionals, too... :D)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay. Posted my logline and beat sheet today. I'm trying to get as much laid out before the 1st as I can, so that I can focus on writing rather than planning after the challenge has started. Feedback welcome, and please be critical. I know that it doesn't have to be awesome, but I'd like for it to be an enjoyable read if nothing else.

Oh, and I have no idea whether this is a liberal conspiracy in film or not. I apologize in advance for not having a well defined political agenda in mind. :D

Script type Screenplay
Script genre
Drama
My script is
American Beauty meets The Hammer
Logline
: Years after his divorce, an aging martial artist struggles to reconnect with his teenage son while training for the largest Jiu Jitsu tournament in the world.
Main character would be played by
Jude Law

Opening Image
: Mike sits on a dirty couch in a filthy apartment. He's on the phone with his teenage son, and it's clear that it isn't going well. We see a jiu jitsu medal hanging from a chair along with a sock and an old t-shirt.

Theme/Hook: Story of redemption... if you don't respect yourself, how can anyone else?

Setup: Mike lives only for his son. Since his divorce about 10 years earlier, he's living completely at the mercy of his ex-wife, Sue, who has full custody. She uses him like free daycare, and threatening to withhold access as a weapon. Mike willingly puts up with it, afraid that he will lose Dave forever if he doesn't. His fear of losing his son has led to effectively that very thing. His son... it's not hate. Contempt... it's a lack of respect. Dave thinks of his dad as a kind of aimless loser.

Inciting Incident: Mike gets a last minute call from his wife to pick Dave up from school. He quickly caves and makes excuses to leave work early. He sees his son fighting with some other kids. He jumps out and rescues Dave. Tired and a little beat up, he drives Dave home. Sue is livid. Dave is embarrassed and resentful at being rescued. It just made the relationship worse, if that was possible. It's our first glimpse that Mike has some skill... there's more to him than we might first have thought.

Mini-Crisis: Mike starts talking about training again. After 10 years, he's rusty and out of shape. In his mid-30s, Mike acts like he's much older. Sue makes it clear that "her" son won't be around violence.

Point of No Return: Dressed inan old gi, with a purple belt that's too small for him now, Mike steps back out onto the mats.

B-Story: Owner of the school, Claudia, is a pretty black belt (badass). Eventual love interest. Claudia eventually lays it out for Dave, challenging him to 5 minutes on the mat. If she doesn't school him, she leaves him alone. Otherwise, he promises to stop fighting outside of school and train for 3 months. He loses (of course) and this is the turning point in the Mike/Dave relationship.

Popcorn Moments: Training scenes and the developing relationship between claudia and Mike.

Testing: Mike is very rusty, training is tough. Blue belts are pushing him hard, and in a local competition, he loses to a very tough guy without putting up much of a challenge. It's brutal and fast and demoralizing. Dave begins training, but they decide not to tell Sue (Surely, that won't come back to bite them).

Turning point (1 hour): Mike starts to put some things together in class. He and Dave are getting along well. Dave asks Mike if he's going to compete in the Mundials (the World Championships).

Big Pit: Mike has tons of reasons not to compete in the World Championships. Money, work, fear. Doesn't want to go without Dave.

Rock Bottom: Sue finds out Dave's training. Big blowout between Mike and Sue. She swears he'll never see his son again. Dave's sad. Claudia convinces Mike to compete for himself. Win or lose, it's about self respect. Facing fears.

Finale: Mundials, baby. Yeah. Huge, 12 mat arena. Lights, pageantry and lots of stuff going on. While Claudia's right there to coach Mike, he obviously wishes Dave were there, too. He makes it through two tough matches barely scratching out wins. As he starts to pick up steam, we find out that Dave is glued to his laptop, watching the even streamed live on the internet. He's riveted. As Mike miraculously makes it through another three matches with wins, Sue sees his interest and has a change of heart. Dave convinces her. They fly down that night in time to see Mike compete in the finals. The next day as Mike steps out to face the same animal who killed him in act 2, he sees Dave in the stands. One epic match later, Mike wins gold.

Final Shot: Mike standing on the podium with his son, gold medal around his neck.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MAAAAAAAANN I am sooo jealous. I got a big goose egg for inspiration....
:wah::wah::wah:

Latest Discussions