Magazine pouch - mag orientation

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering how you position your extra magazines (assuming your shooting an autoloader) you carry on your body. I put mine weak-side bullets down and pointing forward for pistol mags and bullets down pointing to the rear for rifle mags. With the pistol mags I use my index finger on the tip of the bullet to guide it into the magwell. The rifle mags are too big for me to do this so I grab it in a reverse grip (if it were a fixed blade knife it would be reverse or icepick grip) then role it forward to get it into the magwell.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Weak side, but the bullet ends of the cartridges are pointing towards the back. This way, when I grab a fresh magazine, it's already positioned in my hand so that the bullet end of the magazine is facing the correct direction for quick insertion.

My magazine pouch is made by Galco, and the butt ends of the magazines are pointed up, lip ends pointed down. Works for concealed carry, and works very well for IDPA matches, too.

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I use a kit when i go out shooting 1 100 round drum and 10 30 round clips. I dont carry these unless im out shooting specifically though. and i put 6 clips face up in a slotted satchel that hangs 'across' my neck and under my arm. With drum inserted (unless im hiking far), then i use a clip, the rest go in my backpack or kit as needed.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
I put mine weak-side bullets down and pointing forward for pistol mags...With the pistol mags I use my index finger on the tip of the bullet to guide it into the magwell.
This is how I carry mine as well. Not only does the finger on the bullet seem to help me guide it into the magwell, it also allows you to ensure that the bullet has not worked itself part-way out.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like we have a standard here.

Jeff