Fun stuff to shoot at!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So...what does everyone here shoot at just for fun?

I have shot at rats (it was a date with my hubby, sigh...he is so romantic ;) ), apples (they explode really nice), water jugs and blocks of ice shatter really well and are somewhat impressive.

I am looking for some other ideas. When we are home on the farm we often bring out the air rifles and set things up for the kids to shoot at. Any suggestions?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lisa said:

I have shot at rats (it was a date with my hubby, sigh...he is so romantic ;) ), apples (they explode really nice), water jugs and blocks of ice shatter really well and are somewhat impressive.

I am looking for some other ideas. When we are home on the farm we often bring out the air rifles and set things up for the kids to shoot at. Any suggestions?

Aside from the usual jugs and cans, I'm planning on trying an expended can of hair spray next time. I'm curious to see how it explodes :) not done it yet, so I'm not sure how dangerous it would be. I figure you need to keep your distance. Bottles are always nice to see shatter, but lots of pickup afterwords. I'm going to have to try apples. That sounds fun!

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well one day a friend of mine had some old spray paint cans. We set out an old white sheet set the cans on it and plinked them with .22 hallow points. It was pretty cool. I've got some old phone books that I'm going to use to see how far a bullet (various calibers) will go through them.

Stuffed animals and shotguns... that makes a helluva mess. I was picking up fluff for over an hour.

:mp5::ak47::uzi::shotgun::sig::biggun::shooter:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Plenty of possibilities.

Cherry Kool-Aid filled balloons: Great effect, and it's environmentally friendly. Don't use sugar if you want to avoid attracting insects.

AOL CD-ROM's: We use them for rifle range fun, but instead of trying to hit the CD (that's too easy), we try to hit the hole.

Self-sealing targets: Just don't use hollowpoints, or you'll really shorten their lifetimes.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
MMA'ists... JOKE! :mp5:

Used to enjoy the shooting range back in my ol' RN days, plus a little bit of towed targets at sea. Used to trail targets from ships, and blow the bejesus out of them with 20 mms, SA-80s, GPMGs. I can honestly say, if you had had a bad day.... Talk about stress relief! Lol...

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dubljay said:
Well one day a friend of mine had some old spray paint cans. We set out an old white sheet set the cans on it and plinked them with .22 hallow points. It was pretty cool.

That sounds like lots of fun. You could get canvas and spray them, call them a new form of ballistic art and make millions! :D

dubljay said:
I've got some old phone books that I'm going to use to see how far a bullet (various calibers) will go through them.

I have heard of others doing this with wet Phone books. Not too sure why they wet them but it sounds like lots of fun.

dubljay said:
Stuffed animals and shotguns... that makes a helluva mess. I was picking up fluff for over an hour.

:mp5::ak47::uzi::shotgun::sig::biggun::shooter:

LOL! My daughter would be devastated to see any stuffed animal blown to pieces but it sounds like a helluva lot of fun! :D

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
Plenty of possibilities.

Cherry Kool-Aid filled balloons: Great effect, and it's environmentally friendly. Don't use sugar if you want to avoid attracting insects.

AOL CD-ROM's: We use them for rifle range fun, but instead of trying to hit the CD (that's too easy), we try to hit the hole.

Self-sealing targets: Just don't use hollowpoints, or you'll really shorten their lifetimes.

Awesome ideas! Thanks! :D I will go and buy a big bag of ballons before we head out to the farm for our next visit!

The CDs sound like a good challenge, will have to try that!

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
I have heard of others doing this with wet Phone books. Not too sure why they wet them but it sounds like lots of fun.

People wet the phone books to try to simulate living tissue (human body is made up of a high % of water) to see how the bullet expands and penatrates. Its not just wetting them, they need to be soaked overnight. Not really a controlled enviornment, but wet is more tissue like than dry.

Sometimes I'll use a phonebook (or thick magazine) behind my target as a backstop when shooting my CO2 airgun in the garage. After a couple hundred rounds you either get a confetti effect for visual confirmation or if the books are wet get a nice "thwack" sound for an audible confirmation.

A "normal" target thats fun is the dueling tree. If you've never shot one, its a vertical post with 4 targets on one side and 4 on the other. When you shoot one it swings over to your shooting buddies side. Winner is the one who ends up with the least amount of targets. Only done it a couple times, but we start from a draw and include several mag reloads. GREAT FUN! Here is one but it has 6 targets (could have sworn ours had 8) http://www.policeone.com/products/press-releases/76746

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ceicei's husband has a side business of repairing/upgrading computers, when the left over parts like motherboards, monitors (lots of fun... but we need to hook-em up to a power source like a portable genny to get that full blown tube effect :D ), and so on.

This is at a shooting range on public lands and things not wholly shot up the first time are usually obliterated by the next visit from other shooting enthusiasts.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Ceicei's husband has a side business of repairing/upgrading computers, when the left over parts like motherboards, monitors (lots of fun... but we need to hook-em up to a power source like a portable genny to get that full blown tube effect :D ), and so on.

This is at a shooting range on public lands and things not wholly shot up the first time are usually obliterated by the next visit from other shooting enthusiasts.

When my husband was shooting hand gun stuff his club had a "Appliance Night" once a month where members could come and bring old TV's etc. to be destroyed. Never actually attached them to a power source but lots of fun nonetheless! :D

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
When I was shooting, we'd have fun nights which mainly involved 2 activities.

1) Lighting a candle in the trap and shooting it out without hitting the wax with all the lights out.
2) Setting up a normal playing card sideways (edge facing you) and shooting the card in half.

:) I still have one (well, 1/2 of one) of a King of Hearts. :)

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shooting mainly with air rifles, we have "aspirin" shoots every once in a while to just have some fun. We stick and aspirin on a target with a small piece of sticky tac and shoot it. :) Lots of fun!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Shooting mainly with air rifles, we have "aspirin" shoots every once in a while to just have some fun. We stick and aspirin on a target with a small piece of sticky tac and shoot it. :) Lots of fun!
Ok now take that same asprin and put it about ohh... 500 feet away... on white paper... :D Now go ahead... shoot!

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We used to put hot water and red jell-o in an empty gallon (milk) jug and then chill it - makes a nice splash when you hit it.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pstarr said:
We used to put hot water and red jell-o in an empty gallon (milk) jug and then chill it - makes a nice splash when you hit it.

Hmmm I kinda like this idea... :mp5:

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:

When I used to drink a lot of aluminium canned energy drinks and still had a functional pellet pistol, they were my target of choice. They're extra nice for avoiding ricochets (pellet traps aren't always great, in my experienc). As to real firearms, I don't know enough.

bw_ryukyukempo

White Belt
Reaction score
Most bowling alleys have some old pins they are willing to give away.

Bowling pins are cool reusable targets. They last a long time. With .45, 9mm, .22, bullets don't even come out the backside. Took my buddies SKS to see the first exit wound!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
bw_ryukyukempo said:
Most bowling alleys have some old pins they are willing to give away.

Bowling pins are cool reusable targets. They last a long time. With .45, 9mm, .22, bullets don't even come out the backside. Took my buddies SKS to see the first exit wound!

My brother also says bowling pins make great targets. Now I know what to get him for his birthday. :)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The local outdoor range has a "plinking pond" We shoot Marshmallows with a .22, if you hit them right they "pop" out of the water and then land back down.