MA in Rio de Janeiro?

A

albertDK

I'll soon be going to Rio de Janeiro for some weeks and I'm wondering if anybody can recommend some martial arts schools down there?

I have practiced taekwondo for several years but would like to learn some MMA, vale tudo or perhaps some Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

(So it is not taekwondo or capoeria I'm looking for, but the NHB-type of martial arts that Brazil is so fameous for!)

Perhaps "Brazilian Top Team" or Royler Gracie?

Have YOU trained at a school in Rio and how as it???

Thanks a lot!

OP
T

Tony Starks

im not sure of any MA schools down there in brazil, but i had some friends go down there for a vacation and they told me the social aspect of it all was absolutley amazing. Another thing they told me is that there are often people doing Bjj and capoeria in the streets so maybe you could ask them if they have any type of formal training and from where. sorry if this doesnt help much.

-T.S.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
MA schools in Brazil...you're joking right? Brazil has their own national MA: Capeiora. very cool fighting style, but a bit too lofty for an uncoordinated individual as myself. I couldn't tell you any of the disciplines or philosphies of it for the life of me. it was national MA, then the slave traders and Portuguese arrived. the denizens had to mask it as a folk dance and tribal rituals to continue training and learning and were eventually able to use it against the slave traders. there's some good sites on the net about it, I think one's plantecapeiora.com (sp). and a movie called Only The Strong might give you some good background and visuals on it, stars Mark Dacascos, very good MAist.

OP
N

Nyoongar

If your in Brazil, do what the Brazilians do ( I think it goes like that?) BJJ!

OP
M

MartialArtist

Seriously, you don't even have to know Portugese to find a school down there that you're looking for.

If you are too stupid to find one, at least learn soccer so you can kick some balls.

Latest Discussions