Lower belts keep kicking me in the groin. Need advice.

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
one creative solution would be to make your own groin guard out of conker shells
so that when any of the nut kickers decide to target your nuts
they will get a nasty surprise ....ouch.... lol

Conker Shell High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - Alamy

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not me. The
Awesome, Bill Wallace is up there at the top when it comes to American Kickboxing
like Benny the Jet, who was my favourite, because he was just more flashy but also super skilled.
Interesting how you are the reason why Bill Wallace now wears a cup... lol
Not me, the guy he was doing the demo match with.

OP
T

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
No need for a cup? It's the practitioner's body, that practitioner should do what they think best.

No need for a mouthpiece either? Or seatbelts? Or fire extinguishers? Or smoke detectors? Or life boats? Or a
to-go pack? Or an emergency fund? Or a plan fricken B?

Okay, I guess, it's a free country, and thank God for that.

I can't believe I got sucked in to a conversation about a man who doesn't wear a cup when he's training Martial Arts fighting.

My bad.
shall a boxer wear shinguards?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
shall a boxer wear shinguards?
That's a bad comparison. There's much less chance that a boxer will get hit in the shin, then there is that a karateka will get hit in the groin, regardless of the rules.
There's also less damage that's likely to happen from an accidental shin clash in a boxing match, then there is from a groin kick in a karate match.

OP
T

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's a bad comparison. There's much less chance that a boxer will get hit in the shin, then there is that a karateka will get hit in the groin, regardless of the rules.
There's also less damage that's likely to happen from an accidental shin clash in a boxing match, then there is from a groin kick in a karate match.
you make a valid point that a cup is required...but i dont seem to get any groin kicks at all from higher belts. although a cup is a good thing to have, isnt 50% of the issue still the fault of a lower belt's poor aim/flexibility?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
you make a valid point that a cup is required...but i dont seem to get any groin kicks at all from higher belts. although a cup is a good thing to have, isnt 50% of the issue still the fault of a lower belt's poor aim/flexibility?
If you mean that 50% of the issue is that beginners aren't as good as non-beginners, then yes. Unfortunately, the answer for them is to either limit sparring with them until they're better, or help them become better and accept that they'll have poor aim/flexibility.

As a non-beginner, assuming you plan to continue sparring with them, you have to account for that if you don't want the pain that comes from those kicks.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Boxers get hit in the groin and they wear cups.

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not me. The

Not me, the guy he was doing the demo match with.
oh, ok.Poor Mr Wallace
I heard he had a few injuries in his time. I remember reading a couple of his books when i was a kid (during the 80s) and at the time, he taught me how to kick high in a different way to they way they teach at the dojo i went to (the raise the knee high and angle the leg down at oblique angles method).

I remember reading his book, practising at home in between training sessions, and my instructor being amazed at how much better my kicking had got, he commented that someone must have been practising at home.... lol that, and Bill Wallace's secret method... books can be great for that, no substitute for real life training but some times, real secrets can be revealed... :)

I learnt from the first book by Bill Wallace that I read that Bill was originally a Judo intentional player,
however had to change to kickboxing because he sustained a major injury to his right leg which caused major damage to his ligaments in his right leg (which made him vulnerable in Judo, as the legs do get a hammering in standing randori and tachi waza).

It explains why Bill Wallace used to kick people's asses with the same foot all the time, and he rarely used his right foot to kick.

Jut

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You keep hearing this because it's a good advice. Even professional boxers were cuts. There's nothing wrong with safety equipment in sparring to reduce harm. It doesn't subtract from being able to fight without one. When I spar I wear a cup, work my stances and still guard and attack as if I'm not wearing a cup. The cup should never be used as a crutch where the person thinks that because they have a cup own that they don't need to defend those areas.

Cup on or off, I still defend against strikes towards my groin and still use my stances in a way that reduces the risks of being kicked in the groin. Unless a person has a fetish for the bruising. Wearing a cup is approved in many contact sports or in sports where objects are to strike a person in the groin.

The only exceptions to not wearing a cup is this or a possible ruptured testicle. If you have been kicked in the groin on a consistent basis where the count is in the 40's then one of these things will be one's reality lol.
So let me clear something up.. first, I never said wearing a cup is wrong or that safety equipment is wrong. I'm not sure how that morphed from what my comment was but it's being repeated. In those days before litigation not allot of fighters did, as has been mentioned by Bill Wallace's experience. I don't believe there's anyone normal who, after they lost a testicle that way, would refuse to wear a cup.
Like Bill, when his bag was full, and many others in those days, I chose not to wear one. Because my crotch became 'open season' so to speak, I became very adept at keeping everything safe and even developed a couple effective counter techniques.

You say, 'it doesn't subtract from being able to fight without one. Maybe.. but not everyone's the same. I've seen more than one person ignore the seriousness of protecting this area because they wore a cup. Anyway.. thanks for the feedback.

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you mean that 50% of the issue is that beginners aren't as good as non-beginners, then yes. Unfortunately, the answer for them is to either limit sparring with them until they're better, or help them become better and accept that they'll have poor aim/flexibility.

As a non-beginner, assuming you plan to continue sparring with them, you have to account for that if you don't want the pain that comes from those kicks.
Personally, I think fighting untrained fighters can be more exciting
as in some cases, you really don't know what to expect
which is in many ways is much more like a real life attack

I guess that is more from a person who trains for self defence than a sport competitor.
The problem with sport, is that people can get a false sense of security in the world
that they and their buddies have created for themselves

and when they encounter a wide ball like a newbie or someone from a different style
some people can get caught out and ego's do get bruised (especially when you "accidentally" get hit by a beginner and you have a much higher belt, happens to every one i think, not everyone would admit to it though.,..lol)

I remember when i was 16, i had been doing karate since i was 11, and was fairly competent and some time helped teach people as an assistant instructor, which i best did during free fighting.

I remember I used to let beginners get shots in intentionally in order to build their confidence,
and usually beginners never hit me that hard. so i could wear the damage easy enough.

Comically though
There was this one time however, that I was doing this "help the white belt build confidence while letting him hit you" thing, when i let this rather post upper class fellow who turned up to the dojo, who was wearing a formal shirt and tartan bow tie (of all things) for training (which in hindsight was completely inappropriate).

I remember allowing him to go for a light shot at my head, not thinking that he would use full force (as generally at this level everything was light contact, semi contact at the most)...

I remember opening my guard and thinking "go on buddy, here is a clear shot for you" and
the beginner, in his ignorance, hit me with full force.... b... star..d

But.... taught me a lesson. not going let anyone have a free shot at my head again, not beginners, woman or even kids.. after all we all only have one noggin and gotta do our best to protect what sense we have left.

What a funny scene that episode was though. I can see the funny side. Alas, we allow life to teach us.
Life is the best teacher. Experience can not be replaced by anything. not yet at least.

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just out of interest.

There is a known secret technique among some Muay Thai circles
where an individual can retract their 2 little fellas up inside their body.
which stops them from getting hit. I don't know this technique but have
one old school book on Muay Thai written by an old school Muay Thai
coach and fighter, mention this.

Also.
What i know about hypo-gonadism. in theory, it would be possible to get castrated
and still live a normal life (as what ever sexual orientation you choose to be... perhaps mix it up on different days?..) by taking the appropriate Hormone replacement therapy.

Some classic Muay Thai fighters may even opt for that.
There was the story of the Thai Muay Thai champ who had a sex change, only to go onto become a famous model and actress.
Parinya_Charoenphol

God hope anyone who insults this little woman. :)
Good news for her however, as no box required.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kicks to the groin are perfect kicks, which is why I never correct students for doing so. As long a the student can control the kick enough to prevent them from landing. If it's a wild kick then I'm like you. They need to know how to aim which is just as important a control
. I've seen more than one person ignore the seriousness of protecting this area because they wore a cup.
I've seen this in general with fighting equipment. People wear fast and willingly take advantage of it as if it's armor so they don't bother to protect themselves because they know the equipment will. Boxing gloves are like this because they take up alot of space. I've seen it with wrist wraps as well.

American football is another sport that has the same mindset. I think the best minder when wearing gear is to mentally think it's not there so bad habits aren't firmed. Plastic knives make me uncomfortable and I treat them like real knives that cut. This helps me to keep my training from being lazy.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kicks to the groin are perfect kicks, which is why I never correct students for doing so.
I taught my students to use a low roundhouse kick to the upper leg. They then slide their foot upward. You don't need much space to do a groin kick this way. Your foot can slide upward with just a little space.

It's so funny that if you spend all your life trying to develop a door guarding skill (such as a groin kick), but the sport rule won't allow you to train it, IMO, the sport is putting restriction on your personal development.

Why the groin kick is a great technique? You force your opponent to respond to it. You can then take advantage on his respond.

A groin kick followed by a face punch is MA basic 101.

Last edited:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I keep reading, 'Wear a cup'. I'll ask, Do you intend wearing one in the street? ...

Actually, When I did Security and bounced I wore a cup.
It helped.
Many people were surprised.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some teachers only teach illegal techniques used in sport to their advance students. It will be used in the "unfriendly challenge" during the ancient time. This is why the challenge is always risky.

Last edited:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Learn. To. Block. Your. Groin. Students who are apparently worse than you are kicking you in a vital area. You are responsible for you, protect yourself at all times. So why aren't you blocking your groin? Is your stance too open, is your guard too high? What hole in your game is allowing newbies to hurt you?

Latest Discussions