loud in class

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
when your in class and you kiai, count out Kata or exercises, should you be the loudest or just loud in general?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
when your in class and you kiai, count out Kata or exercises, should you be the loudest or just loud in general?

Its your money be as loud as you want. If you like being the loudest go for it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think that you should only be just a little less loud than your senior training partners. It's disrespectful to be louder than people who out rank you.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're putting more energy into being loud than you are gaining from the Kiai; then maybe you're being a little too loud.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ive never heard that before. interesting

Come on, Ballen. I'm being facetious. Man, I guess I'm too subtle tonight.

For the record, I don't have the first clue what happens in a karate dojo. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

I have never studied Karate but from my perspective; If you are giving instructions then you should be as loud as you need to be, if you are doing your kiai then you should be as loud as you can.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're just slightly under the senior student does that still apply as being disrespectful?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Come on, Ballen. I'm being facetious. Man, I guess I'm too subtle tonight.

For the record, I don't have the first clue what happens in a karate dojo. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As many crazy things as I hear people say is "disrespectful" in a dojo I would not have been surprised if you heard that someplace.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's all relative.

Stand closer to sensei, and you will sound louder without actually haaaving to be louder.

And of course, one must neeever be louder than sensei.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The point to kiai isn't to be loud. It's to help unify your breathing and focus and muscles into action (that's one thought anyway). Be as loud as you need to be in order for that to happen, though to be sure, the intensity should originate in your diaphragm, not your throat. Some people have fantastic kiai with a single short hiss from their stomachs.

Happy-Papi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think that you should only be just a little less loud than your senior training partners. It's disrespectful to be louder than people who out rank you.

I think I learned something new here. My father trained me in karate at a very young age and moved to another dojo before I reach my teens but never knew that it's disrespectful to be louder than my seniors. Years passed and now there are times I go to dojo or do private lessons (in Japan) teaching my stuffs (CQC-FMA) and I notice that whenever I teach students don't do the "kiai" but when I'm finished teaching, the students are back to doing their kiai. Normally I teach instructors and higher ranking black belts but sometimes I do support lower belts too but the lower belts are the ones who are shouting and the higher belts stay silent. When this happens, everybody becomes silent??? Since I come from a different study, I don't make sounds or do kiai and this is probably the reason why my students are not doing it. My class is not that silent because I laugh a lot and instead of hearing kiai, laughter is often heard.

Next time I will try to experiment and do some kiai and see if my students do it too :)
Thank you Steve!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess this is how myths get started. :) Time to go register my hands and feet as deadly weapons.

JonWal

White Belt
Reaction score
My take on it is when you are learning a technique you're concentrating so much on the movements that the kiai is the last thing on your mind.

The more you practice the technique, the more power, speed and confidence you have so the Kiai comes almost natuarally.

Hatsie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We are expected to be at least 5 DBS quieter that the sensei and/Or an octave below. And 2-3 DBS below senior students. It sounds like a kiai version of "doe- ray- me- fa...."

I had thought this was standart practice world wide? Maybe not......:D

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Oh, you should always be the loudest, definitely. In fact, any student who is not louder than all the other students obviously isn't giving it their all and should be dismissed from the class. :lol:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kiai is simply used to focus your ki. It can make a technique stronger, and better focused, but it's also a tool that's to be properly used.

If you're not using enough focus in your techniques where such focus is required, or if your technique doesn't have enough force behind it, then perhaps a stronger kiai can help. Think of it as using a support beam to hold something up, or using a slightly heavier hammer to get a tougher job done.

If you use your kiai in an obnoxious manner (e.g. dragging it out to sound like "EIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!" instead of a simple "EI!"), then I would guess that you're not using kiai in the proper sense. One would think that you're using your kiai like an excessively bright neon sign, trying to make yourself the focus of the class, or that you're trying to squash an ant using a sledgehammer.

Latest Discussions