Looking For Some Info On MT

E

EMag

I sat in on a MT class last night and had some questions. What is training like typically? Drills, katas, etc? I realize this is a very general question, but any help you could provide is greatly appreciated.

I had studied Shotokan for several years, and the MT class seemed very different from my experience with Martial Arts. The class seemed very intense (more so than Shotokan), but also informal. By this, I mean, students did not wear armbands to signify rank, house music was on, and the Kru seemed very casual with students (although the training seemed good). Shotokan was much more regimented (i.e. bowing, uniforms, addressing the Sensei, etc.)

I guess I am looking to avoid a Sports Club feel and really want to learn a martial art. Is MT a little "less informal" than Japanese martial arts or am I at the wrong place. Thanks for the help, everyone.

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
Your observations are pretty consistent with what one would experience at an MT class. Much more intense, much less formal. Many would argue that it makes MT a more effective striking art than something like Shotokan...not necessarily my opinion though.

OP
K

kshymkiw

Your observations are very good. There really is no rank in MT. The classes are less informal than what you are used too. Where i train we don't have house music on, but we are all very at ease with each other. Maybe you noticed, maybe you didn't, the closest thing i can think of in a sense of bowing would be how we Wai, which is just a sign of respect. It deffinately won't be a sports club feel, it will feel like family to you.

Latest Discussions