Looking for some guidance and opinions…

sooter76

White Belt
Reaction score
So I’m in a location that doesn’t have Balintawak anywhere near me, but I’ve long been interested in the style. I’m not completely new to Escrima having trained in and espoused to Lameco, Derobio, and Modern Arnis. Still, it’s Balintawak that has always called to me. I’m looking to get some opinions as to the quality of the following books…

Applied Balintawak by Rad Maningas

The Balintawak System of Arnis-Escrima by John Russell

Buot Balintawak Escrima by Sam Buot

As well I’m curious about the following DVD sets…

Atillo Balintawak Escrima vol 1-9

Arnis Balintawak Escrima

Grand Master Bobby Taboada's Balintawak Eskrima Cuentada System

PRODUCTS | home

(Ok, I know this last one is a download but same basic idea.)

…I know learning thru books and DVD’s are not ideal, but I’m hoping that with my previous background I can make it work in lieu of not having a teacher/school accessible for 500+ miles.

Has anyone had a chance to look thru any of these books and/or DVD’s. Is there any you would recommend or avoid?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So I’m in a location that doesn’t have Balintawak anywhere near me, but I’ve long been interested in the style. I’m not completely new to Escrima having trained in and espoused to Lameco, Derobio, and Modern Arnis. Still, it’s Balintawak that has always called to me. I’m looking to get some opinions as to the quality of the following books…

Applied Balintawak by Rad Maningas

This has some basics from the Lineage of Manong (GM) Ted Buot. It has the stories he told students to learn lessons.
The more you heard the story the more one would give it back to their instructor. Hearing it once/ twice or even a few times is no big deal.

I disagree with some of the things he presents, yet this is going to happen and most likely to happen from those of the same instructor.
Approach this with open mind , that it might not represent all from the same lineage.

The Balintawak System of Arnis-Escrima by John Russell

I have heard good things about John Russell. I am not intimately aware of his book.

Buot Balintawak Escrima by Sam Buot

As well I’m curious about the following DVD sets…

Sam's Book was edited / put together by Mark Wiley. He usually does a pretty good job with his books.
once again not aware of the details of the book.

Atillo Balintawak Escrima vol 1-9

Atillo is the only one who says/writes certain things that makes everyone angry in the Balintawak community.
For this reason, I would approach with caution.

Arnis Balintawak Escrima

Grand Master Bobby Taboada's Balintawak Eskrima Cuentada System

PRODUCTS | home

I am not aware of the details of Bobby's Videos. He and many others use the Grouping methodology.
This is just a delivery system and it seems by evidence of observation to reach more people in a quicker format.
Note: That Observation is mine. I also teach the methodology that Anciong Bacon and Ted Buot used for teaching.
So I have nothing to gain with my positive statements.

(Ok, I know this last one is a download but same basic idea.)

…I know learning thru books and DVD’s are not ideal, but I’m hoping that with my previous background I can make it work in lieu of not having a teacher/school accessible for 500+ miles.

Has anyone had a chance to look thru any of these books and/or DVD’s. Is there any you would recommend or avoid?

If you do not want to post your location, could you send me your location in a message?
This way if I know of someone currently and or in the future I could assist you.

OP
S

sooter76

White Belt
Reaction score
If you do not want to post your location, could you send me your location in a message?
This way if I know of someone currently and or in the future I could assist you.
Thanks for the response.

No worries, I wasn’t trying to be cryptic… I’m currently in the Quad City area of Iowa, but will be moving to Lincoln, NE in the new year.

Atillo is the only one who says/writes certain things that makes everyone angry in the Balintawak community.
For this reason, I would approach with caution.
Out of curiosity what does he say that pisses so many off?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

No worries, I wasn’t trying to be cryptic… I’m currently in the Quad City area of Iowa, but will be moving to Lincoln, NE in the new year.

I don't know anyone, yet I will look into it.

Kindred Protective Arts in Kansas City does Modern Arnis and Kombaton.
I know there is a Chicago Balintawak group - Bobby's System.

Out of curiosity what does he say that pisses so many off?

In a culture, with lots of verbal history, the Balintawak community has about an 85-90 % overlap between the groups of convergence on the main points. And the 10-15% are either pint of views for some data or additional data not contrary to the other groups.

Atillo seems to enjoy making statements that cannot be verified by others, and at most as about 5-10% convergence with the rest of the community.

Ask people not of his lineage and even some who were of his lineage and you will get similar responses.

I am not trying to be vague and mysterious.
I am trying to provide enough insight and data for you to go do other research without me or you crossing the line on Fraud Busting.

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
We have a group in Richmond, VA. Also, Taboada gives weekend seminars around the country fairly regularly. He has one scheduled in Charlotte, NC Nov 5,6 & 7. I studied it for a while. It is a cool art, but I was getting overloaded with also doing Muay Thai and BJJ.

You could learn the basic moves off of YouTube. Learn the 12 basic strikes, the 12 basic strikes "full power," the basic blocks and the other form, is it the "shadow form?" I may have that last one wrong. You won't learn the nuances off of videos, but if you have those basic moves, you won't feel totally confused in the seminar. My instructor said the Taboda seminars are the best learning experiences out there.

If you went to the seminar with a training partner, you could go home and make some progress afterwards.

OP
S

sooter76

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't know anyone, yet I will look into it.

Kindred Protective Arts in Kansas City does Modern Arnis and Kombaton.
Thanks… I appreciate any help you can give.

It isn’t any just any Escrima system I’m looking for, but Balintawak. I know there’s a Inosanto Kali school in Omaha, which I may look at, as well as a couple schools associated with Julius Melegrito in the area which I assume are Kombaton in essence. I know Melegrito had a falling out with Ernesto Presas Jr. which in the world of FMA politics could mean a lot of things so under normal instances I wouldn’t care. However, my wife also has a bit of history with him (unrelated to anything FMA) that leads me to believe some of the things I’ve heard, so I’m actively avoiding anything with his name attached to it.

OP
S

sooter76

White Belt
Reaction score
We have a group in Richmond, VA. Also, Taboada gives weekend seminars around the country fairly regularly. He has one scheduled in Charlotte, NC Nov 5,6 & 7. I studied it for a while. It is a cool art, but I was getting overloaded with also doing Muay Thai and BJJ.

You could learn the basic moves off of YouTube. Learn the 12 basic strikes, the 12 basic strikes "full power," the basic blocks and the other form, is it the "shadow form?" I may have that last one wrong. You won't learn the nuances off of videos, but if you have those basic moves, you won't feel totally confused in the seminar. My instructor said the Taboda seminars are the best learning experiences out there.

If you went to the seminar with a training partner, you could go home and make some progress afterwards.
I’ll keep an eye out for seminars…

Essentially, that’s what I’m looking for. A solid book and/or DVD set that I can work off of with a partner to get the basic framework and then hopefully get things cleaned up during a seminar or by a qualified instructor I might find time to visit.

Latest Discussions