Looking for Gikan Ryu info!!!

T

takagi

Where I can find more real info about it?Names of techniques,levels???
Did Hatsumi Sensei ever showed REAL Gikan Ryu??
I have one video,but I am not sure is it real thing.
Please help...

Thanks!!

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
I recall hearing that Noguchi sensei in Japan has a fairly hefty densho book on Gikan ryu, and I've seen him teach things in his classes that were pretty clearly drawn from that ryu. If you want detailed knowledge about a system of which Hatsumi sensei has not seen fit to present much in the public view, then going over there and asking Noguchi sensei might be a good idea.

OP
J

jibran

Seago Sensei,
I did not know that there were any published materials by the Japanese Shihan. Do you know if any of them are available in English?
Thank you,
Jibran Khan

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, Jibran, but I didn't say "published". Those would have been Noguchi sensei's personal training notes on the school.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
takagi said:
Where I can find more real info about it?Names of techniques,levels???
Did Hatsumi Sensei ever showed REAL Gikan Ryu??
I have one video,but I am not sure is it real thing.
Please help...

Thanks!!
Why?

Why would you want information on a school that your instructor can't help you with?

-Daniel

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kizaru said:
Aren't the techniques from Koto ryu and Gyokko ryu enough???
<shrug> I cant speak for anyone else, but I would REALLY like to learn more stuff from the Togakure Ryu.

davidg553

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
<shrug> I cant speak for anyone else, but I would REALLY like to learn more stuff from the Togakure Ryu.
I could be wrong on this (probably am), but I have heard that the taijutsu of the Togakure Ryu is based on that of the Gyokko Ryu and Koto Ryu. If thats the case then why put the cart before the horse? :) As Kizaru said, "Aren't the techniques from Koto ryu and Gyokko ryu enough???"

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well sure they're enough, but it's a lot of fun to also play with shuko and shuriken, and metsubushi . . . and mokuton . . .

ya' know, ninja-stuff

OP
E

Elizium

Technopunk said:
There is a video of Hatsumi doing Tagakure Ryu ninpo. It shows formal kata, henka, sakai, metsubushi, shuriken ETC. If Technopunk wishes to PM me, I will pass on information on how to get this.

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think (i Hope) technopunk was kidding, as the Togakure Ryuis the one Ryu that has been taught widely indepth.

OP
S

switch

DWeidman said:
Why?

Why would you want information on a school that your instructor can't help you with?

-Daniel
Why would you want to read a book about the moon if you don't plan on going there?

OP
E

Elizium

saru1968 said:
I think (i Hope) technopunk was kidding, as the Togakure Ryuis the one Ryu that has been taught widely indepth.
All the schools have been taught, you just don't know when and in what place :)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Elizium said:
There is a video of Hatsumi doing Tagakure Ryu ninpo. It shows formal kata, henka, sakai, metsubushi, shuriken ETC. If Technopunk wishes to PM me, I will pass on information on how to get this.
I have that Video, if its the same one... :)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
saru1968 said:
I wast kidding... it may have been taught widley and in depth, but in MY training I have only seen a handful of material from it.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
switch said:
Dweidman said:
Why?

-Daniel
Why would you want to read a book about the moon if you don't plan on going there?
Interesting counter-point... I suppose...

First off - I didn't ask for books about the moon.

Secondly - I didn't come to NASA Astronaut's Forum and ask a question about the moon. If I have no intention of going to the moon - then why would I waste their time with a question about virtually un-chartered lunar territory - or other questions that only have bearing on people who will use the information.

If knowledge is power - then doing your own research is a weight-room. Asking the MT forum for "instant gratification" answers is the equivilent of one pushup.

Sorry.

-Daniel

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
saru1968 said:
Really?

Would you say there is more Togakure Ryu information out there or more Gyokko Ryu information? Or are you speaking from the 1980's vantage point of "everything is Togakure Ryu" - even though the vast majority of it wasn't...

-Daniel

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes , talking from the view point of the 80's where 'everything' was Togakure Ryu, my first Dojo thats all it taught, although there was Kukishinden Ryu techniques in it! which strangely at the time we did not question.

I suppose what iwas trying to say was that there is so much to learn anyhow and personally I let my Instuctor worry about that stuff.

Gary