looking for decent inexpensive jian

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking at either hanwei or tigerclaw jian, i'm interested in it for practice forms, and occasionally for cutting practice. does anyone have experience with either brand? is there another brand that sells jian under $150 that is decent quality?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking at either hanwei or tigerclaw jian, i'm interested in it for practice forms, and occasionally for cutting practice. does anyone have experience with either brand? is there another brand that sells jian under $150 that is decent quality?

Since you're looking for a cutter,

In general, you get what you pay for.

I would discourage you from getting the Tiger Claw brand.

The Paul Chen / Hanwei swords are fine for your forms, and should be OK for light cutting, but I wouldn't use them for anything beyond light cutting at all.

OP
wushuguy

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Since you're looking for a cutter,

In general, you get what you pay for.

I would discourage you from getting the Tiger Claw brand.

The Paul Chen / Hanwei swords are fine for your forms, and should be OK for light cutting, but I wouldn't use them for anything beyond light cutting at all.

Thanks, I don't plan to do heavy cutting, but would prefer a somewhat sharp edge, and sturdy design. After reading on the sword buyer's guide, i think the Paul Chen sword should be right for me.

Latest Discussions