Looking for an advanced QiGong book

Haswell

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new here and I could use some help on what to do next.

For the past four years I've been going through Lam Kam Chuen books, The Way of Energy and The Way of Power. Both of which are excellent and I have really helped me. I sleep a lot deeper and I rarely getting tired.

Now that I've gone through the The Way of Power, I am just at a crossroads on what to do next.

Should I hold the positions that I've learned for longer, or should I get a new book to go through?

These are the books that I am currently looking at purchasing:

Shaolin Qi Gong: Energy in Motion - Shi Xinggui
Instant Health: The Shaolin Qigong Workout For Longevity - Shifu Yan Lei
Iron Shirt Chi Kung - Mantak Chia

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, Master Lam's terrific books cover Yiquan, also known as Dachengchuan ... although it could be said that Yiquan is a kind of Qigong if you soften the boundaries that I just erected. ;) Anyway, if you were to choose the other books you mentioned, you would be taking a slightly different path. There's nothing wrong with that; it may be the right one for you. Or you may be able to integrate both into your practice!

If you want to continue in the Yiquan vein, consider JP Lau's Yiquan Beginner's Guide. It is probably best worked through slowly, since this kind of art is best progressed by increasing your attention more deeply into your body over time. In other words, pick an exercise, and do it over and over as you gradually direct your attention deeper and deeper into smaller corners of your body as you attempt to find unity.

But, as many will correctly say, you can make the best progress with an instructor who can test your force (and structure) and allow you to realign yourself into the positions to best resist that force with body unity by distributing that force. I'm talking subtleties here: it's really a game of millimetres. Good luck!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OP
H

Haswell

White Belt
Reaction score
Major thanks guys!

I'll reply back with what book(s) I decide to go with.

Thanks again! :)

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I second recommend jwing mings work.
Not a how to book but a great reference.
Qigong empowerment is also a great book.
Master liang really put alot of work into it.

StandingZen

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Good that you have managed to benefit from the mentioned books.

Reading is fine and can be a very good addition to learning in person, but I would recommend that you find a teacher that can help you with what you are experiencing.

Holding a position longer and longer should not be the end goal of zhan zhuang..

Good luck with your training and effort.

Soren

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In addition to those mentioned, I'd also recommend Jan Diepersloot's "Warriors of Stillness" and "The Tao of Yiquan". They start out at the beginner level, but may cover or explain something you might have missed in the other books.