Links to Tens of Thousands of Legal Music Downloads

E

Elfan

http://www.goingware.com/tips/legal-downloads.html

You don't need to worry about getting sued by the Recording Industry Assocation of America or arrested by the FBI if you download legal music. Many independent and unsigned musicians offer downloads of their music in hopes of attracting more fans. Here's some music from my friends The Divine Maggees, Oliver Brown and Rick Walker's Loop.pooL.

If everyone started downloading legal music instead of violating copyright with the file sharing programs, we would make short work of the RIAA, because people would start buying CDs directly from the artists and seeing their shows instead of enriching the major labels by buying CDs from the bands the labels have chosen for us to listen to. The RIAA would also have no cause to complain - these music downloads do not infringe copyright because the artists give you permission to download them.

Much, much, more in the article, including those promised links.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent article.

I'll be mirroring it shortly on my personal site.

:)

OP
E

Elfan

Awesome, I was going to post the whole thing here but I know of know way to turn the HTML into vB.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Legal--cool.

One of my students wore a "Flogging Molly" shirt to class recently and I asked him to bring a CD next time they work on their laptops.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On a somewhat related note:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...38&e=1&u=/nm/20030917/tc_nm/tech_copyright_dc

"Film Studios Sue Over DVD Copying Software"
Paramount Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox sued Tritton Technologies on Wednesday, accusing the company of distributing software aimed at cracking technology used to prevent unlawful copying of DVDs.

The suit, filed in Manhattan federal court, seeks a court order stopping Irvine, California-based Tritton from distributing the software called "DVD CopyWare." It also seeks unspecified damages.

The parents of a 12 y.o. settled with RIAA for a 4-figure sum, I believe. Lots of good reasons to look to legal downloads these days.

OP
E

Elfan

The suit charges that the defendants violated the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (news - web sites) that bars creating or distributing technology that can be used to circumvent copyright protections on software, movies and music.

I do not belive that the DMCA is so vauge as to outlaw technology that *can* be used to cirvumvent copyright protection, only technology whose primary purpose is to do so. Could someone clarify this?

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by arnisador
People have mixed opinions on the EFF.

Did you mean something beyond some people don't agree with them?

Latest Discussions