liking karate

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i find that im getting very interested in karate.for some reason i was never into karate before but i have found a huge interest in it.
i was wondering what are some good magazines/websites that cover all styles of karate?
also,what style of katate do you all take and what are the main things about that style that make it unique?

WyldFya

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like Traditional Martial Arts for a magazine. I am a Wado-ryu shodan, and have been training since 1992. I also work out with Kyokushin, and have trained with many other styles of karate. Wado-ryu is not a fast progressing style, and is very small in numbers. I like my style because we focus on speed and technique more than strength.

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like Classical Fighting Arts (formerly Dragon times) www.dragon-tsunami.org
You can subscribe and it is usually on the magazine rack at Borders

I also like Journal of Asian Martial Arts - also usually found at Borders

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All three of the ones mentioned are great. JAMA in particular is a very well done quarterly publication. It really is more like a professional journal than a magazine. A little expensive compared to others, but well worth it.

Jeff

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I highly recomend both Classical Fighting Arts Magazine and Journal Of Asian Martial Arts Also. I teach a system I founded of which its origin is Shorin Ryu karate and Ju Jitsu. Its more karate than anything so I call it Okinawan Karate because we use all Okinawan kata has it was taught to me in Shorin Ryu.

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i just picked up the new issue of CFA and i like it a lot.thanks all.
any good websites on karate?

Boomer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
that depends on what type of karate you are looking for. if you do a web search simply on "karate", you are likely to get a lot of hits for "McDojo's" and ecclectic systems. if you have a more specific style, system, or history of karate you are looking for, you will be better off in your search.

So what appeals to you most about the karate you've been exposed to? Maybe we can help narrow it down..

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i like the mix of hard and soft in goju that i have seen.i also like the fact that goju covers just about all ranges of fighting.
killer avatar boomer! did you see my thread on street fighter the game?

Boomer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There's a few good Goju websites out there...I know my friend uses these 2 specifically:
http://gojuryu.net/news.php

http://www.goju.com/

He also warned me to avoid goju-kai and Peter Urban's goju group....my buddy is a staunch traditionalist and really has a distaste for these groups, though it is out of my realm and I'd need to do more research before I form an opinion of my own. I like Urban's articles and books, but other than that I have no input on his teaching methodolgy.

no, I haven't seen the street fighter thread...can you link me to it, or tell me what section to look? my son and I are big video game fans

Seeking Zen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i like the mix of hard and soft in goju that i have seen.i also like the fact that goju covers just about all ranges of fighting.
killer avatar boomer! did you see my thread on street fighter the game?

I train Goju and have found it to be very versitile. However, the quality of your Sensei is key.

Latest Discussions