Liberal Media / Conservative Media

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is there a media bias? Many people assume there is a 'Liberal Bias, to the news media. So, let's find out.

Post 1 media personality, include his or her political point of view. Please try not to post a personality that has been posted by another. For the sake of this thread, let's assume that 'Media' is defined by Television (Broadcast), Television (Cable), Radio, Daily Newspapers, Periodical Publications.

If the media personality is a local person, please indicate the media market that they serve.

Are you game?

M

MisterMike

michaeledward said:
Is there a media bias? Many people assume there is a 'Liberal Bias, to the news media. So, let's find out.

Post 1 media personality, include his or her political point of view. Please try not to post a personality that has been posted by another. For the sake of this thread, let's assume that 'Media' is defined by Television (Broadcast), Television (Cable), Radio, Daily Newspapers, Periodical Publications.

If the media personality is a local person, please indicate the media market that they serve.

Are you game?

Do you mean to find out whether there are more liberal vs. conservative media outlets in the U.S.?

Or are you trying to narrow it down to the individual reporters, commentators, Op/Ed writers, Editors, Correspondents, anchors, journalists, ... boy you have quite a task at hand.

I think most would agree that the slant is more toward the left. At least that is the view that reaches the most people. Quantitatively it maybe 50-50 for all we know, but money talks, and more of it is coming from more people from the left.

If the number one paper in the world (NYT) is openly liberal, that ought to give you a hint.

I could maybe count a few papers and channels on one hand that stand on the side of conservatives. I think the scale tilts the other way when it comes to talk radio though.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
I think most would agree that the slant is more toward the left.
I do not agree with this statement. I believe the voice of the right wing political point of view is far more pervasive than any left wing voices. Which is why I am asking folks to post the personalities, and the point-of-view.

MisterMike said:
If the number one paper in the world (NYT) is openly liberal
Do you mean the OpEd page of the New York Times? Or do you mean the journalistic articles themselves are somehow slanted toward the left? Please justify this statement.

Rush Limbaugh clearly identifies himself as a Conservative.

T

TonyM.

This is a classic case of the boy that cried wolf. The media is controlled by big business. Does anyone know anyone in big business that is liberal? Please. The whole liberal media thing is just the media itself blowing smoke and sunshine up our rectums.

M

MisterMike

michaeledward said:
I do not agree with this statement. I believe the voice of the right wing political point of view is far more pervasive than any left wing voices. Which is why I am asking folks to post the personalities, and the point-of-view.

Do you mean the OpEd page of the New York Times? Or do you mean the journalistic articles themselves are somehow slanted toward the left? Please justify this statement.

Rush Limbaugh clearly identifies himself as a Conservative.

Well, it was not a declaritive statement, but if people are going to list things only to have you say, naw, it's the other way around, well, what's the point?

I would say that if a big paper with the largest readership has a left-slant in it's OpEd page, the paper is to the left.

I can only count 1 station that if I had to lump in the conservative group would - FOX. Where does that leave all the rest???

As for talk radio, what was it, that AirAmerica or whatever the Liberals openly admitted was their initiative to get back at all the conservative talk radio. So I count 1.

But what has the most time in front of people. I'd say TV. What people refer to as "news." This to me is what gets out there more, and why we have a left slant overall in the media.

How again is the right wing political view more pervasive? The radio that nobody really listens to or is it FOX again?

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
<chuckle>

Gee, I didn't think this would be that difficult.

Thanks for playing guys.

M

MisterMike

TonyM. said:
This is a classic case of the boy that cried wolf. The media is controlled by big business. Does anyone know anyone in big business that is liberal? Please. The whole liberal media thing is just the media itself blowing smoke and sunshine up our rectums.

Yes, there are media giants who ARE big business, and I should hope they control themselves.

Being big business does not mean you are conservative. How else do Democrats get so much in contributions?

R

rmcrobertson

Michael Savage: very conservative, and lunatic.

G. Gordon Liddy: right-wing, nutcase, talk-show host.

Hannity. Shows like, "Crossfire." The "McLaughlin Report." The "Washington Times." "The Orange County Register." "The Arizona Republic." Murdoch's newspapers, and FOX news.

It's absurd to argue that, "the media," is leftist. The media is corporatist; some folks just don't like the news, want to reject aspects of reality, can't deal with the contradictions between what they wish were true and what is true. For them, it's never going to be enough: never "patriotic," enough, never strident enough, never conservative enough.

The problem is, actually, that a number of folks wouldn't recognize, "leftist," if it forced them into a work camp. Because of guys like Reagan (and after a lot of self-inflicted wounds) the left wing of American politics has largely disappeared over the last twenty years. Some of you even think that Clinton was an extreme leftist, but the present Bush is centrist, which only shows the narrowing of the political spectrum.

Historically and culturally speaking, the argument about a leftist media makes no sense. It is, however, a useful tactic, for those who demand total agreement with their politics, their economics, their theology, out of everybody else.

Yes, poor, poor, pitiful me, Rush and Michael scream into the mike daily. My country has been taken over by lesbians and atheists and college professors and Dan Rather and Walter Cronkheit (now THERE'S a commie!) and and and...THEM!! But I--I ALONE, MY LISTENERS!!!--am fighting back on behalf of decent people.

It's a scam, kids. It's just a scam. These clowns are getting richer off fear and anxiety and hatred.

But hey, keep watching the skies.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hrmmm....

My personal opinion is that the "bias" of the media depends on what particular outlets you are referring to.

Radio talk shows, late-night talk shows, and FOX News are without doubt biased toward conservatism. The Daily Show is a notable exception to this.

Many of the other major news networks tend to be more liberally-biased.

Of course, ultimately, I think they all biased towards sensationalism than anything else --- "if it bleeds, it leads". As one commentator put it, "there's a definate bias towards crap".

I will say, however, that guys like Bill O'Riley just really annoy me --- I actually watched his show once or twice. He actually charactertized himself as "helping lead America against the forces of darkness". He actually said THAT!!

Gawd, that kind of horsecrap pisses me off. :shrug:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with heretic that I think the bias is towards sensationalism more then anything else. Whatever draws the biggest audience brings in ratings and recognition to the reporter who put it out.

However, entities with the money can afford to do the due diligence to get certian news stories out there, and to get their points of view heard. It should be no mystery that some major fortune 500 companies are Public Relation companies. So the view points that the media is drawing from tend to be in the interest of big business.

So, I think that the general news is more conservative for that and other reasons, although you can find "liberal" sources out there.

:asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've lost a lot of respect for Glenn Beck these days for justifying everything Bush says or does; however, every once in a while he slips up and says something rational.
Lableing the media as anything but the media shows that people don't understand the term media. If anything its the reactionary media or the easily mislead media, but Liberal media is a vestage of the past. A sans tail for you evolutionists. :asian:
Sean

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
Being big business does not mean you are conservative. How else do Democrats get so much in contributions?
Right now Democrats are getting numerous SMALL contributions from people like me who can't afford the $2,000/plate dinners that the wealthy can manage. Last month, over 1,000 bake sales were held by 13,000 "little people" nationwide, including myself, to benefit MoveOn.org, an internet based organization encouraging ordinary citizens to get involved in the political process. Although they contribute to members of any political party, MoveOn.org supports progressive causes, including unseating the current administration.

I believe "the media" have many biases, some of which have been mentioned already, but the idea that "the media" is overwhelmingly liberal is a myth--which is why Air America Radio has made such a splash.

C

Cobra

CNN and MSNBC are very bias liberal news channels.

Fox News is a lot more conservative, but unlike CNN and MSNBC it isn't that bias at all. Mike Savage is great, but he can get out of hand sometimes.

C

Cobra

Yesterday I watched Bush's speech on MSNBC, one second after the speech huge amounts of Bush bashing took place.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fox News is a lot more conservative, but unlike CNN and MSNBC it isn't that bias at all.

*laughs* This is a joke, right??

I'm no fan of liberalism (or conservatism for that matter), but FOX is disgustingly biased toward the Right Wing. They don't even attempt to hide it --- I can't count the number of "objective" reporters and commentators on that network that regard anything "French" (or non-American, really) as "wrong".

And, the fact the network supports the likes of Bill O'Riley says volumes.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Micheal Savage is not great, he is a vial pig! He tells Homosexuals that he hopes they get AIDS and die. He should if anything be imprisoned for "getting out of line sometimes" because there are members of the "Savage Nation" that will kill and destroy if called upon to do so. And he does.
Sean

C

Cobra

Touch'O'Death said:
Micheal Savage is not great, he is a vial pig! He tells Homosexuals that he hopes they get AIDS and die. He should if anything be imprisoned for "getting out of line sometimes" because there are members of the "Savage Nation" that will kill and destroy if called upon to do so. And he does.
Sean
Savage has never said dirt about homosexuals. Opposing gay marriages doesn't count. I'm oppose to gay marriage, but have nothing against gays.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actualy it was the reason he was fired from MSNBC; so, I'll pretend you didn't say that or you just don't know what your talking about... you decide. :asian:
Sean

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Actualy it was the reason he was fired from MSNBC; so, I'll pretend you didn't say that or you just don't know what your talking about... you decide.
Thank you. <chuckle> Well said.