Levi Stubbs ~ Lead for The Four Tops

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Four Tops frontman Levi Stubbs dead at 72
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081017/ap_en_mu/obit_stubbs

• By MIKE HOUSEHOLDER, Associated Press Writer Mike Householder, Associated Press Writer – Fri Oct 17, 5:54 pm ET

This Jan. 1990 file photo shows the 'Four Tops' in New York. Left to right: Renaldo 'Obie' Benson, Levi Stubbs, Abdul 'Duke' Fakir and Lawrence Payton. Four Tops lead singer Levi Stubbs, who possessed one of the most dynamic and emotive voices of all the Motown singers, died Friday at 72.
(AP Photo/Ron Frehm, File)

DETROIT – Four Tops frontman Levi Stubbs, whose dynamic and emotive voice drove such Motown classics as "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" and "Baby I Need Your Loving," died Friday at 72.
He had been ill recently and died in his sleep at the Detroit house he shared with his wife of 48 years, said Dana Meah, the wife of a grandson. The Wayne County medical examiner's office also confirmed the death.
With Stubbs in the lead, the Four Tops sold millions of records and performed for more than four decades without a change in personnel.
"Levi Stubbs was one of the great voices of all times," former Motown labelmate Smokey Robinson said. "He was very near and dear to my heart. He was my friend and my brother, I miss him. God bless his family and comfort them."
The Four Tops began singing together in 1953 under the name the Four Aims and signed a deal with Chess Records. They later changed their names to the Four Tops to avoid being confused with the Ames Brothers.

I've always loved their songs and their style. It was back when black artists actually used their vocal talents for real singing and not just talking in (sometime vulgar) rhymes and spitting in the mic.

Listening to my own collection of them as I type.
So long Levi, you've done many hearts well. :asian:

Latest Discussions