Let's do the time warp again!

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Science - Reuters

Warped Satellites Prove Einstein Theory -Scientists

Thu Oct 21, 5:45 PM ET Science - Reuters

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Einstein was right -- again. Satellites that have been pulled slightly off their orbits show that the Earth is indeed twisting the fabric of space-time as it rotates, scientists said on Thursday.

They said their findings are the first to directly measure and prove an important aspect of Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity -- that a rotating body warps and twists the "fabric" that combines the three dimensions of space and the fourth dimension of time.

"As the Earth turns, it is actually twisting space-time with it. Near Earth, the twisting is greater," said Michael Salamon, a physicist at NASA (news - web sites) in Washington.

"This twisting of space-time, which is also referred to as frame-dragging, has never been directly observed before," Salamon told reporters in a telephone briefing.

"This is the first real, solid, direct evidence we have for the twisting of space-time caused by the spinning of a rotating body."

Erricos Pavlis of the Joint Center for Earth System Technology at NASA and the University of Maryland and colleagues observed two satellites orbiting the Earth and found that they did shift as the planet pulled on space.

"We measured the distance from the Earth to the satellite with the accuracy of millimeters," Pavlis said. Their research was reported in the journal Nature.

The Laser Geodynamics Satellite I or LAGEOS I, a NASA spacecraft, and LAGEOS II, a joint NASA/Italian Space Agency satellite, are basically hunks of metal covered with reflectors that make them easy to follow and measure from the ground.

Their butterfly-shaped orbits are meant to simulate the movement of a spinning gyroscope. Einstein's theory predicts that a nearby spinning body -- such as the Earth -- will pull on space and cause a gyroscope to shift slightly on its axis.

There is no proof that some other force is not acting on the satellites, Pavlis said, but it is unlikely.

"It would have to be a very smart force to exactly mimic general relativity," he said.

"We have eliminated all of the forces that we do know -- tidal forces, et cetera and so forth, as well as gravitational model errors."

Pavlis likens the effect to a spoon twisting in a jar of molasses.

"Similarly, as the Earth rotates, it pulls space-time in its vicinity around itself. This will shift the orbits of satellites near Earth," he said.

Salamon said indirect evidence has been seen of frame-dragging, but this is the first direct measurement.

In April, NASA launched Gravity Probe B, a probe carrying four gyroscopes, which the scientists say should prove Einstein's theory with even higher accuracy when its results are reported next year.

So if you do enough spin kicks you can wind up in another time domain!*L

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, Light has three theories of description and none are complete, for all three explain certain traits, yet not all.

The Wave, The Partical and the Beam, all explain certain things about light.

Yet, light is seen to bend around large gravity wells such as a planet. Hence modern science fiction and depictions of black holes and Star Trek and Star Gate and such, that talk about this theory stuff, until it becomes a common thought, and thne years later, we can measure and prove it :D.

Given the technology of today, and as they stated looking into other gravity issues such as the moon (* Tidal *) and I am sure measuring the lag, for time gives distance, and being able to measure to millimeters now allows for this test to be executed.

Interesting to me at least. :D

:asian:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
So that explains how I got nailed twice last year from spinning back kicks by one guy in one match. He was spinning so fast he warped space/time and actually hit me before I began my defense. Now I understand. :)

Actually, this stuff is very cool, as a scientist I appreciate (apparent) validation of esoteric theories.

Lamont

Latest Discussions