Lessons in life...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We get this email from our boss. The Gist of it is that going forward we want to present a more "professional" look to our clientelle, so we should all dress better for work.

So i show up for work the next day in a nice button up shirt with a collar, and I cut my 3 1/2 inch beard (which I had been growing for like 2 months) off. Shaved all clean and nice.

Everyone made fun of me.

So the next day, I show up, again, clean shaven and in a shirt and tie.

Everyone made fun of me.

When I wore my leather and have the beard and combat boots... no one made fun of me... not to my face anyhow.

Lesson learned? Don't try to fit in. EVER.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try giving yourself a scar--maybe one of those ones that starts on the forehead, skips over an eye, and continues onto the cheek. That'll shut 'em up.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Try giving yourself a scar--maybe one of those ones that starts on the forehead, skips over an eye, and continues onto the cheek. That'll shut 'em up.
Damn, that would be sexy too.

Or not.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
We get this email from our boss. The Gist of it is that going forward we want to present a more "professional" look to our clientelle, so we should all dress better for work.

So i show up for work the next day in a nice button up shirt with a collar, and I cut my 3 1/2 inch beard (which I had been growing for like 2 months) off. Shaved all clean and nice.

Everyone made fun of me.

So the next day, I show up, again, clean shaven and in a shirt and tie.

Everyone made fun of me.

When I wore my leather and have the beard and combat boots... no one made fun of me... not to my face anyhow.

Lesson learned? Don't try to fit in. EVER.
if they showed respect for you because of your beard and leather maybe you have to show them some of your art to gain respect again
do you work in a "high school" or something? how pro
if your boss wants a more professional environments maybe he has to do some lay offs man.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
they probably just laughed because you had to look like a conformist all of a sudden and they thought it was against your morals.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
if they showed respect for you because of your beard and leather maybe you have to show them some of your art to gain respect again
do you work in a "high school" or something? how pro
if your boss wants a more professional environments maybe he has to do some lay offs man.
No, I Install Antenna's on Rooftops and Comtowers for an ISP.

Oh, the layoffs are coming... they already told us.

Im on the list.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
No, I Install Antenna's on Rooftops and Comtowers for an ISP.

Oh, the layoffs are coming... they already told us.

Im on the list.
Oh okay
well, good luck on your future job hunt
but hey, what's the "lesson in life" in this whole thing?
what did you learn, and what do you want us to learn?

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
but hey, what's the "lesson in life" in this whole thing?
what did you learn, and what do you want us to learn?
Dont be someone you are not because someone else tells you to... it will get noticed, and others will use it against you.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Dont be someone you are not because someone else tells you to... it will get noticed, and others will use it against you.
I've dealt with that every time I've cut my hair. Finally said screw it, and let it grow out.

Now, if I could just get away with bleaching it platnium...it'll show the blood better. ;)

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be major changes either, I just shaved the goatee I'd had for 3 years and buzzed my head...not shaved...but not to far away. Almost everybody was like, "What did you do? Why did you do that?" Like there was some sinister plot behind the lack of hair...

For one, this is the way I like my hair, I'm just too poor to afford regular haircuts...

Second, the beard had been there for so long, it was time to reevaluate and see if keeping it was the right decision...and it was....we all make mistakes

Change is not bad...but change for yourself...

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
this is kind of funny......ive had long hair for over half of my life, probably about halfway down my back, and i started sporting a rather long goatee about 5 years ago. my father hated my hair and tattoos......didnt really like the fact i played guitar in a heavy metal band....and in my line of work i often had to work in rather conservative office environments or peoples homes. some of my bosses even said i probably scare their customers....lol

i dont play in a band anymore.....im the father of 2 girls ....and no one has really bugged me about cutting my hair for sometime now.
this past friday night i was visiting my brother and his wife is a hairdresser.
she asked me if i wanted a haircut....i said sure, cut it all off.
it felt kind of liberating after having it long for 17 years. but i did it for me and me alone.
your outward appearance does not change who you are on the inside, but it should definitely reflect it........being comfortable in your own skin is important for your happiness.

Latest Discussions