LEO's...this ride is for you!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an interesting concept. It's been around for 8 or 10 years or so, in one way or another. And the concept model looks great.

Lots of great ideas in it, a few that maybe aren't so keen.

But it's got to be cost effective... And, right now, it's just not likely to be there. Especially since I don't believe they've got a single production model turned out...

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
While Ive seen a number of makes and models come and go, most of us wind back up with the Crown Vic...I dont know why we have to re-invent the entire wheel...so to speak.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor isn't really ideal; it's just the best general fit that's available. With the increasing demands for power (light bars, radios, computers, etc.), agencies have been running into problems. And, of course, there's the regular threat by Ford to stop production of the Crown Vic... (And that pesky issue about it going up in flames in high speed rear end collisions... still. The fixes haven't exactly solved the problem...) The CVPI has been a good workhorse, but having some options would be nice, too.

The truth is that there is no perfect police vehicle, and the Carbon Motors E7 isn't it, either. The problem is that the demands of the job are so variable. A patrol officer in a major city is probably (though not necessarily) riding two to a car, so they a working set of front seats, but in my agency, we ride solo. A trooper may need to carry all the paperwork and gear he might need 'cause he won't see the office but once a week but someone in a suburban or urban department may go to the station for every report, and only needs the most basic paper for the street. Some transport prisoners, some don't. And so on... K9, crash reconstructionists, and other uniformed specialties add additional demands -- and they can't all be fit with an SUV. Then there's detectives and others who might need unmarked, fully-qualified vehicles that aren't obviously a cop car.

The E7 is a neat idea, and it meets a lot of needs, and was designed with input from working cops. I'm personally skeptical of the suicide doors for the back seat; I just wonder if there'll be problems. And we all know how the first few years of a new car model often have problems and headaches... Like I said; I've been hearing about this car for several years. I'd love to see how a few actually work out on the street.

Latest Discussions