Learning Wing Chun

T1gger

White Belt
Reaction score
So I've wanted to learn some sort of martial arts for a long time, but I have a very busy schedule. I'm in medical school right now, so my schedule is pretty variable. After talking to one of the interns at the hospital who used to be SF in the army, I decided that Wing Chun is what I'd like to learn. My problem: there's no place in North Louisiana that I'm aware of that teaches this, plus my schedule would be a problem. Keeping in mind that I don't plan on attending competitions or anything and that I just want to learn this stuff for the self defense and discipline, what would you propose would be the best way to self-learn? I know that ideally, there is no substitute from learning from an actual instructor, but this is just the situation that I'm in. I'd be able to practice/spar with the aforementioned intern. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Self training would be very difficult if not impossible with Wing Tsun.
So much of what we do requires feeling what the other person is doing.
That said , at the beginning stages there is a significant amount of foundation to be laid, ie footwork, stances, form, hand positions, punching and kicking that you could practice much of that on your own but yoiu still need someone to show you what you are doing, preferably in person.

I'm geographically challenged regarding that part of the country but I know there are a lot of WT people in Texas and some of the other surounding states that you could Goolgle, that may be willing to travel to your neck of the woods on a monthly basis to get you off on the right foot.

Good luck.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is Wing Chun really that thin on the ground over in the U.S ?
I would have thought with the large population , that there would be plenty of places to train.

I don't believe that you can self learn Wing Chun , there is too much going on below the surface that the untrained eye won't see.

I was continually making errors even when my Sifu or senior instructors were standing right next to me watching , so it would be impossible for someone by themselves.

Particularly something as complex as Chi Sau , that has so many facets to it .
Maybe you could find seminars to go to and just cram a lot of training into one weekend or do what Yak Sao said and get an instructor for private lessons.

OP
T

T1gger

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not saying that I'm trying to be some sort of expert with this stuff, but I'd like to learn some of this, be it with dvds or books or whatever.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, the wing chun is spread pretty thin over here. There are pockets to be sure but there's a lot of map to cover.

Here in the Louisville area where I live there was only 1 WC/JKD hybrid for a lot of years, then our WT group came along which kind of splintered into LT and EBMAS and Allan Fong WT and there is Ali Rahim who is out of Michigan. There is also a VT group about an hour from here, so we are lucky.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not saying that I'm trying to be some sort of expert with this stuff, but I'd like to learn some of this, be it with dvds or books or whatever.

I understand what you are saying , you are in medical school right ?
It would be a bit like you teaching me how to perform an operation by video or by book.
I might gain a superficial level of knowledge , but you wouldn't want me doing heart by-pass surgery on your mum would you.

As the saying goes a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing , and if you want to use it for real world self defence then you want to be sure you have a firm grasp of the applications and theories.

Wing Chun is a science in itself , and I really feel for your situation , but mate you have to find yourself an instructor there is no other way.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, the wing chun is spread pretty thin over here. There are pockets to be sure but there's a lot of map to cover.

Here in the Louisville area where I live there was only 1 WC/JKD hybrid for a lot of years, then our WT group came along which kind of splintered into LT and EBMAS and Allan Fong WT and there is Ali Rahim who is out of Michigan. There is also a VT group about an hour from here, so we are lucky.

Man that sux Yak Sao , here in Sydney I could probably find about six quality people I could get private lessons off within about 45 mins drive or closer.

I could also go to a few WT branches that are sprinkled around as well as suburban branches of a few other lineages.

We are pretty spoilt for choice as far as Wing Chun / Wing Tsun goes , but still I don't seem to see the same sort of hunger for the training that the American people seem to have , you guys are willing to travel and go to a bit of effort to find school.

Over here people are more interested in their local football teams and going to the pub rather than martial arts.
For a country that worships sport we are right up there in terms of obesity.

God dammit I'm in the wrong country I should be over in there in the U.S.A establishing a global empire of schools and raking in multi million dollars in profits . :BSmeter:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man that sux Yak Sao , here in Sydney I could probably find about six quality people I could get private lessons off within about 45 mins drive or closer.

I could also go to a few WT branches that are sprinkled around as well as suburban branches of a few other lineages.

We are pretty spoilt for choice as far as Wing Chun / Wing Tsun goes , but still I don't seem to see the same sort of hunger for the training that the American people seem to have , you guys are willing to travel and go to a bit of effort to find school.

Over here people are more interested in their local football teams and going to the pub rather than martial arts.
For a country that worships sport we are right up there in terms of obesity.

God dammit I'm in the wrong country I should be over in there in the U.S.A establishing a global empire of schools and raking in multi million dollars in profits . :BSmeter:

Well this is the land of opportunity....we'd be honored to have you here.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a Sidai in New Iberia (not sure where you're located in LA) that owns and operates a martial arts school. His name is Danny or Dan. Offered is Wing Chun, Kali, Muay Thai, ground fighting, and an MMA program. His Wing Chun is really good, as is everything he teaches. You might look him up. He also has a website:

http://www.pmatc.com/

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Man Id love to go and teach over there. My bro is currently living out there on a Visa and he is extremely talented at wing chun
(He ended up teaching a wing chun class in Baltimore once because the instructor didnt turn up)

If America accepted people on visas to teach wing chun Id be over like a shot!

OP
T

T1gger

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm in north Louisiana. I saw online about the place in New Iberia, and I think there may be one in Alexandria. A bit of a drive for me though.

And I'm not exactly sure what is available around here.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Where exactly are you located?

Mook Jong: There is a loooottt of WC here in the States, but it a very large country and it can depend on where you are. Here in Seattle I can refer people to at least five or six schools off the top of my head, and I've been able to locate WC for most people in most areas here just using Google-fu.

OP
T

T1gger

White Belt
Reaction score
In Shreveport currently. That could change in a year; by which time it'll either be Shreveport or New Orleans.

OP
T

T1gger

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, Shreveport is one of the armpits of America as far as I'm concerned. There's not much here in regards to anything.

I checked that site out, Muay Thai is actually one of the arts I was originally thinking about learning, but when I talked to that SF guy and looked some stuff online, WC is just more intriguing to me.

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
Keeping in mind that I don't plan on attending competitions or anything and that I just want to learn this stuff for the self defense and discipline, what would you propose would be the best way to self-learn?

You should be able to teach yourself as long as you stick to applications like hand to hand combat. If you wanted to enter one of the major WC competitions, that would be another matter. You couldn't teach yourself that kind of thing.

Wait...what?

On a more serious note. I've commuted (2-5 hours one way) once or twice a month for private lessons for several years. There simply aren't any schools or teachers in my area that teach what I want to learn. You have to decide what you want to do and how badly you want to do it. There are ways to train on your own, I'm not denying that. I've done it myself for about fifteen years. But if you want to really understand an art, and you've got experienced practitioners here saying there are some things you can't get without guided instruction, you have to decide what you're willing to do to accomplish your goal.

Otherwise, do something else.

Joel

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, Shreveport is one of the armpits of America as far as I'm concerned. There's not much here in regards to anything.

I checked that site out, Muay Thai is actually one of the arts I was originally thinking about learning, but when I talked to that SF guy and looked some stuff online, WC is just more intriguing to me.
You might check that website again. Muay Thai is not their main thing. They do a mix of Filipino styles, JKD, Ground Fighting, and Silat. And they have dedicated Pekiti Tirsia Kali classes. If you can't find what you want maybe you should check out what you can.

5rings

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe someone posted here already how learning Wing Chun....would be very difficult if not impossable, to which I agree completely. Given your short allowable time frame & not having a qualified teacher near you. Their is a Technique that can be practiced as a solo form that has most of the basic hand & blocking movements Pac,Tan, Larp Jut etc in it. Look up Yang Tai Chi " Silk Reeling" Its single & two man sets offers a good entry level understanding of connection & Transition. Try looking for Yang Jwing -Ming's book on advance Tai Chi Chuan "yang style" This is a very simple Drill that can be learned out of this book or better from DVD if you can find it?
I would start with the solo set.....till you find a partner for the two man.
you'll also need a book on wing chun to understand the similarities. You can later travel to a seminar to pick up "Chi Sao" drill.....but you'll definiately need a partner....to develop your connection & Jing.

"Always try to think outside the Traditional box"