Learning a new form!!

Reaction score
@master dave: nice input, and that's an interesting way to see the form in application, if not the one I hear most often.

I still say, though, that having your hands on your hips is a disadvantage in this situation. If I get you right, it's the back hand that grabs the punch (while your body is still facing forward after the kick?) and pulls to the side for the twist and lock. In that case, though, wouldn't you rather turn your arm over for a more typical elbow strike, using the front of the elbow, rather than the side? In that case, why would you ever want your arm to be at anything close to a 90-degree angle?

@master jay: never heard of him. where's his school? I probably won't be able to attend, but it's nice to know you have contact with ITF schools. Like I said, though, next may I'll be at the National All-Martial Arts tournament, so if you're able to show up to that, I'll listen to/ watch whatever you have to say/ show.

He left ITF a couple of years ago, but still has friends in the ITF. He was directly under Chun Jae Nim C.S. Kim for approx. 22 years, and earned his 4th dan.

Iam not familiar with the National All-Martial Arts tournament...

Who presents it?
Where is it held?

Can you forward me an email with a link to it?

The only tournament that I have consistantly supported in recent years is the Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwans International Championships. It would be interesteing to see how the other associations tournaments are being run these days. I will look forward to receiving this information from you.

The TSDMGK's 2008 tournament is already in the plans and is going to be held in Arlington, Texas. You know what they say about Texas; everything there is BIG!!! The TSDMGK members that are in charge of the planning and execution of this event have been involved in many tournaments over the years. When they say that the "2008" tournament promises to be the tournament to use as the new hallmark for all others to follow, you can bet that it will be just that.

Start saving and making your plans NOW!!! This is the one that you won't want to miss.

As Master Tom Cox said as he presented the plans for next years event at this years event;

All that you have to do is show up, and bring two friend!!!

We hope to see you there!!!

TANG SOO!!!

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
@ Master Jay: I've plugged the May tournaments quite a bit here, but just for reiteration's sake:

The National All-Martial Arts Championships are held every year on the last weekend of May or the first weekend of June, usually on a Saturday. They are hosted by C.S. Kim, as they are held in Pittsburgh, but the competition isn't just ITF. Aside from other TSD schools, there are karate, taekwondo, and even chinese style martial artists in attendance every year. There are four events: forms, sparring, breaking, and weapons (more forms), with each event broken up into divisions by age, gender, and rank (black belt from color belt). The tournaments are held at the Fitzgerald Field House on the University of Pittsburgh campus -- usually packed to the gills with competitors and spectators. This year we even had some competitors from Mexico. It's always cool stuff.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to learning the Pyung Ahn forms in a few months. They look like quite the challenge with the Hulgul Jaseh, arm preparations, and extra steps.

I hear the first Pyung Ahn form is difficult to learn.

Have fun Tlaloc!

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to learning the Pyung Ahn forms in a few months. They look like quite the challenge with the Hulgul Jaseh, arm preparations, and extra steps.

I hear the first Pyung Ahn form is difficult to learn.

Have fun Tlaloc!

Actually, if you've got the 3 gicho hyung well under control, pyung ahn cho dan will be easy to learn, except for perhaps one part. You'll see. Just don't get so far ahead of yourself in expectations that you forget about what you're learning right now.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually, if you've got the 3 gicho hyung well under control, pyung ahn cho dan will be easy to learn, except for perhaps one part. You'll see. Just don't get so far ahead of yourself in expectations that you forget about what you're learning right now.
I am practicing all three (just got the aiming down). I keep practicing them. I'm doing well with Gi Cho Hyung Sam Bu and am trying to get the Hulgul Jaseh as perfect as I can. The instructors haven't actually begun correcting us on the Hulgul Jaseh yet. Most of the yellow belts just step out with a pointed toe, hardly bending the back leg. It's because they don't know any better. They don't do all of the aiming either such as the aim after hadon makee before the side punches. I have my daughter to fuss at me. I also have Master R's DVD for yellow/white belt, too. That's where I learned the aiming.

I hardly look at other people in class because I'm so focused on what I'm doing. I am definitely not trying to learn higher forms. My head would explode. Very good advice, JT!

Latest Discussions