Latigo VS Western Bull Whip

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anybody have any information on the Filipino horse/carabou whip VS the Western Bull whip? Both in construction and technique? Most of what I have seen (FMA) is not that much different from what you would see at a Rodeo demonstration. In any case, can anyone suggest a good whip technique book or video regardless of origin? By the way, my mother in law was suppose to bring me a whip from the Philippines, but couldn't get one in time before her flight left. I guess I'll just buy a cowboy, indiana jones one, yeeeeehaaaaa!

Thanks.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisandyz

By the way, my mother in law was suppose to bring me a whip from the Philippines, but couldn't get one in time before her flight left.Thanks.

Hmmm, Bullwhip + Mother in-law visit...

I don't know Andy, maybe she was thinking about self-preservation.:rofl:

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pananandata and Sayoc Kali have an extensive latigo/bullwhip curriculum. Generally speaking, the latigo can range in length from riding crop length to longer; I believe that the 3-4 foot length is used in "latigo y daga" techique, and I believe that there is someone in Long Island, NY that specializes in this.

Prior to the Spanish coming to the Philippines, some Filipino tribes used stringray tails.

Jeff Chung has a good article about whips on the Sayoc Kali home page. Look for the articles links.

For bullwhips, try the following URL: http://www.bullwhip.org/

One of my teachers is extremely adept at what he calls the "pocket whip." This is essentially a modified dog sled whip.

Best Wishes,

Steve Lamade
San Miguel Eskrima

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Fellow Artist,
Bullwhip.org is a great place to start. The keeper of the site, Andrew John Conway has a book called "The Bullwhip Book" exellent idea!! I've trained a bit under his bullwhip teacher, Karen Quest with a shortwhip, much fun! Granted I'm more into the long whips myself. Anthony Delongis also has several videos with this "Delongis Style" of cracking, and has an article out there this month on use of the whip. I'll look it up if you'd like.
Keep Crackin'