Latest gadget?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Saw this in the latest edition of WCI. What will H.S. think of next? ;-)

Attachments

• 20151221_193022.jpg
    20151221_193022.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 164

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Or..... maybe don't wear basketball sneakers with super grippy soles to practice your forms? Hmm. If only you could buy shoes that worked well for WC or CMA in general. Someone should get on that. /sarcasm.

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Or..... maybe don't wear basketball sneakers with super grippy soles to practice your forms? Hmm. If only you could buy shoes that worked well for WC or CMA in general. Someone should get on that. /sarcasm.
:D

Yeah, the article appeared to be about some sort of structure test(?). Apparently, Hendrik created or discovered this and in the article his student(?) Robert Chu is expounding on its value WRT shifting with certain weight distributions, etc...

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I teach footwork to a new student I put a piece of cardboard under their rear foot to help them with their footwork, and I jokingly tell them it is an ancient Chinese secret...dammit, I could have marketed this and been a multi, multi millionaire.....ok, maybe a millionaire,....or a least made enough for lunch at Moe's.

I got the idea from LT. Many years ago we were training with him and he made us take our shoes off and practice in our socks because our tennis shoes gripped the floor too much.

I encourage all of my students to get the cotton sole Chinese slippers nowadays, not only to make footwork easier, but grippy tennis shoes can disguise a badly rooted stance, whereas the slippers really make you do the stance correctly.

Last edited:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
A blow up wooden dummy...that's nothing, I found this, a blow up chi sau partner.....I guess it comes without clothes so you can dress it in your school uniform or club shirt?

images

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A blow up wooden dummy...that's nothing, I found this, a blow up chi sau partner.....I guess it comes without clothes so you can dress it in your school uniform or club shirt?

images

Maybe it is for pole practice?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
:D

Yeah, the article appeared to be about some sort of structure test(?). Apparently, Hendrik created or discovered this and in the article his student(?) Robert Chu is expounding on its value WRT shifting with certain weight distributions, etc...

I think they were actually designed for use with Pilates? I got a pair out of curiosity because they only cost about $8 a piece on Amazon. I've played with them and had no problem. But I am already using the body mechanics very similar to what Robert Chu teaches. However, someone that shifts on the heels or shifts close to 100/0 rather than 50/50 might have trouble. These things turn very freely. So if you aren't shifting 50/50 they tend to throw you off and send you flying like trying to hang on to the rail on the merry-go-round on the playground! But development-wise...unless you are trying to learn the biomechanics taught in CSL Wing Chun, they aren't going to do you that much good.

The "gadget" that I have found the most useful is the Bosu Ball! This idea came from Alan Orr. The Bosu is half of a swiss ball with a platform on one side. You can stand in YGKYM on the platform and do your entire SNT form or just a series of drills and movements. You have to maintain your balance dynamically. It really works your leg muscles and helps build your stance. As you can see, this thing cost about $100. But I think it was worth the investment. It is something you can return to and use regularly despite your level of training.

Amazon.com : BOSU Balance Trainer, Blue : Exercise Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The "gadget" that I have found the most useful is the Bosu Ball! This idea came from Alan Orr. The Bosu is half of a swiss ball with a platform on one side. You can stand in YGKYM on the platform and do your entire SNT form or just a series of drills and movements. You have to maintain your balance dynamically. It really works your leg muscles and helps build your stance. As you can see, this thing cost about $100. But I think it was worth the investment. It is something you can return to and use regularly despite your level of training

Hmm interesting. Yeah I use similar training methods, just not on a bosu ball. It's ironic how "instability" can ultimately lead to "stability"...!!! haha.

Last edited:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Try this one. Take a swiss ball and hold it up against the wall with forward pressure of the arms to train your bong sau, jum sau etc. with and without pivot.