KT:Is this good, bad, or ugly for Tracy's Kenpo?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why shouldn't it be?

This is one of the reasons from my experience why martial arts doesn't really work. You learn one defence or one combination and drill it untill you think it will work.

You think it will work because in training you can build that up full speed. So no matter how fast he comes at you you can defend yourself. And you are building a false positive

Because it doesn't work live or resisted.

No matter how slick you get that combination. If they are fighting you back then they are going to move to a different position. Or throw something else or something. And the rest of that combination wont work.

Now imagine you spent your drilling time setting up the technique properly and then adding combinations based on the idea that the other guy hasnt just frozen in place. Then if he does react you would have drilled for that.

And if he doesnt react. Well that is all the better for you anyway.

so meanwhile what the other guy is doing.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons from my experience why martial arts doesn't really work. You learn one defence or one combination and drill it untill you think it will work.

You think it will work because in training you can build that up full speed. So no matter how fast he comes at you you can defend yourself. And you are building a false positive

Because it doesn't work live or resisted.

No matter how slick you get that combination. If they are fighting you back then they are going to move to a different position. Or throw something else or something. And the rest of that combination wont work.

Now imagine you spent your drilling time setting up the technique properly and then adding combinations based on the idea that the other guy hasnt just frozen in place. Then if he does react you would have drilled for that.

And if he doesnt react. Well that is all the better for you anyway.
Most competent kenpo people understand that is all is premised on the first move working. o_O

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most competent kenpo people understand that is all is premised on the first move working. o_O

images

You dont really base your training on the first move working.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What if I told you that techniques drills are one part of our training? :cool:

Then they should reflect the other parts of your training. Just because you do a helpful drill doesn't excuse doing a dumb drill.

The least amount of training time for me is spent in mount punching people.

Yet it is where I will do the most damage.

Why do you think that is?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
not a single lunge punch and freeze.

It is almost as if that attack doesn't even happen.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then they should reflect the other parts of your training. Just because you do a helpful drill doesn't excuse doing a dumb drill.

The least amount of training time for me is spent in mount punching people.

Yet it is where I will do the most damage.

Why do you think that is?
Maybe the beholder is dumb. :rolleyes:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What does that vid have to do with the other kenpo schools?

So there are other kepo schools that strike and just freeze in place in sparring?

That sparring is pretty consistent with all styles. Not just kempo.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mabye but i gave actual reasons why the drill is dumb.
First of all, I come from a school where they actually hit you, and because you know the tech, you are reacting in a way that they can realistically finish the sequence. The sequences are studies of motion. The idea is to turn it up... later, but some schools never do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
First of all, I come from a school where they actually hit you, and because you know the tech, you are reacting in a way that they can realistically finish the sequence. The sequences are studies of motion. The idea is to turn it up... later, but some schools never do.

Doesnt matter what pace or power you do that to be honest. I could get a guy competent at blocking a full contact shot in about 5 minutes if I tell him where it is coming first.

Latest Discussions