KT:Is locking horns broken?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Is locking horns broken?
By florida_kenpo - Wed, 04 Oct 2006 19:31:00 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

This came up at a recent seminar that the base technique is designed for a front choke ... not a front guillotine choke.

With a guillotine choke the person is pulling straight up on your throat with their hips back in order to raise your body up.

At the seminar is was suggested that you only have 2 - 3 seconds to react and that the initial groin shot would not work as you would be stepping into this very dangerous choke and possibly you were raised up on your toes already.

I am not going to give my opinion either way right now on this but I would be very curious to see what you all think.

My question is Does locking horns work vs. a guillotine choke or do we need a replacement technique for today's style of movement?

Thanks and looking forward to some Kenpo discussion.

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

OneKickWonder

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe the 2-3 second rule is correct but as long as you are on your feet you can defend this attack with groin shots. Unfortunately, in my experience(I also train in light grappling and MMA for future fights in the cage) you have to put yourself in a little danger in order to break the hold if it is already locked in. continuous groin shots will definitely loosen the hold, when taught the technique only uses one groin shot but that doesnt mean you cant pound it for a second or two before you grab the wrist and explode up with the elbow. I believe it CAN work against a guillotine if executed properly, but that doesnt mean another technique cant be developed that might be MORE effective.