KT:Confidence

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Confidence
By DRANKIN - 04-18-2014 04:27 PM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Confidence, a word used in just about every martial arts advert I've ever seen.

Reading a post by Doc talking about someone who wanted to learn "enough to defend himself" made me think of this and post. Doc, you took him literally. I suspect he didn't ask the right question. Regardless, he probably wasn't interested in making the level of commitment you would require from a person that you would agree to teach.

As humans we are influenced by a persons perceived confidence by default. By how a person carries themselves. It can be a bluff or someone that really believes in his ability to defend himself (whether it's a reality or not).

Being someone who was bullied and picked on growing up, I came to understand the subtlety during my first year of studying Kenpo. Over the course of a single summer practicing daily by myself (because I had moved to a different state) my whole physical and psychological attitude changed. I was prepared for another year of high school bullying now!

Side note, I was moved around so much as a kid I never went to the same school for more than a 1yr. The bullies were always the same, just the faces changed.

Surprise, surprise! I was no longer picked on or bullied... ever again. I was sincerely disappointed, I wanted a chance for retribution. The truth is I probably was only marginally more equipped to defend myself than the year before. But everything changed for me because I now had confidence.

This can be a benefit of even a McDojo for youngsters. Of course, it can quickly fall on it's face when put to the mat. But, it will, more often than not, prevent the mat from materializing.

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Latest Discussions