Korean version of.....

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Okinawan group I train w/ they use the term Ussss ("OOs"), meaning I hear & understand.

Is there a Korean term for the same thing that's said in TKD classes?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We say, "Farang," which indicates style, sorta.

Anyone else?

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can tell you how to pronounce it in Korean but it is not used there. I did not read the threads but Osu is a very misused word. It is actually slang, like “yea man”. It is composed of two characters (押忍) and means pledge to endure. In Korean it would be said as (압인) Ahb in.

ron

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
In the Okinawan group I train w/ they use the term Ussss ("OOs"), meaning I hear & understand.

We just say Yes, Sir or Yes, Ma'am indicating we hear and understand.

I have a list of terms I copied off Martial Arts Resource pages a while ago...

ahlge seoyo = I understand moreuge seoyo= I don't understand

ye = yes anio = no
TW

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks you two. I guess some things just aren't as important cross-culturally as we think sometimes.

Thanks for your legwork on it.:asian:

Kuk Sa Nim

Green Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
We just say Yes, Sir or Yes, Ma'am indicating we hear and understand.

I have a list of terms I copied off Martial Arts Resource pages a while ago...

ahlge seoyo = I understand moreuge seoyo= I don't understand

ye = yes anio = no
TW

Hello,

I am under the impression that in most Korean systems, the first part of the name is used in a similar and multipurpose way. Such as:

Farang!
Hapki!
Taekwon!
Kuk Sool!

Etc., etc. this is what I was exposed to. I also noticed the includion of the term "Oss" in some Korean schools. I even use it without thinking sometimes.

As for the term "I understand", I was taught:

Ada Seo = (informal) I understand
Ada = (Very informal) Short version
Ada sumnida = (Formal) I understand
Ada sumnika = Do you understand?

So, there's another take. Hope it helps.
With brothrehood,
GM De Alba

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kuk Sa Nim said:
Hello,

I am under the impression that in most Korean systems, the first part of the name is used in a similar and multipurpose way. Such as:

Farang!
Hapki!
Taekwon!
Kuk Sool!

Etc., etc. this is what I was exposed to. I also noticed the includion of the term "Oss" in some Korean schools. I even use it without thinking sometimes.

As for the term "I understand", I was taught:

Ada Seo = (informal) I understand
Ada = (Very informal) Short version
Ada sumnida = (Formal) I understand
Ada sumnika = Do you understand?

So, there's another take. Hope it helps.
With brothrehood,
GM De Alba

That is also helpful, sir. Thank you.:asian:

Kuk Sa Nim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I also remember a term used in the same way as "Oss" when refering to "perserverence" that is used in Korean martial arts. It is: Pil Sung, which means to endure, or certain victory. This is also a short version of a saying I was taught which goes:

Jung Shin, Il Do, Ha Sang, Pil Sung.

Which I was told translates as: Nothing is impossible, once you set your mind to it. Or more litteraly, "With a concentrated mind (one mind), you will have certain victory".

More food for thought.
With brotherhood,
GM De Alba

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kuk Sa Nim said:
I also remember a term used in the same way as "Oss" when refering to "perserverence" that is used in Korean martial arts. It is: Pil Sung, which means to endure, or certain victory. This is also a short version of a saying I was taught which goes:

Jung Shin, Il Do, Ha Sang, Pil Sung.

Which I was told translates as: Nothing is impossible, once you set your mind to it. Or more litteraly, "With a concentrated mind (one mind), you will have certain victory".

More food for thought.
With brotherhood,
GM De Alba

Ah yes, Pil Sung is good. My instructor also had a "mantra" during push-ups. Chung Shin Tong IL (Concentration!) "Chung Shin" we'd say on the downside & "Tong IL" as we came up.

Thank you again, sir:asian:

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:

I have heard active debate over the actual translation of this word, which I often also see as "Osu".

One school of thought is similar to your translation. On the other hand, I have also heard from knowledgeable people who have trained in Japan for quite some time say that it's use in Japan is a rather vulgar, slang affirmation, typically used only between two good friends. Something similar to saying
"f-ing right!", here in the U.S.

I don't know with certainty which side is correct.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A Korean “proper” equivalent would be, “Him Nae Ja” which means; to endure. This is used a lot in the military.

ron

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MSUTKD said:
A Korean “proper” equivalent would be, “Him Nae Ja” which means; to endure. This is used a lot in the military.

ron

But is it used in TKD schools? I wouldn't want to start a tradition that doesn't translate well.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kuk Sa Nim said:
I also remember a term used in the same way as "Oss" when refering to "perserverence" that is used in Korean martial arts. It is: Pil Sung, which means to endure, or certain victory.

We use "Pil Sung" in the end of class. I was taught that it means "second to none", our school motto. It is similar but not exactly the same as "to endure, or certain victory". I have seen in books and on the web, that it means certain victory more than a few times now. Or is it more likely, that once translated a few times, the meaning could get changed to "second to none". That translation sounds to me that our school cannot be put second place, inferior to another. A different meaning entirely and it certainly is a contradiction. Can Pil Sung have more than one meaning?

Thank you, Sir for your help in this discussion. :asian:
TW

Latest Discussions