Korean for "Application"

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
신청 is the written form. Got it from Babel Fish Text Translation.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Though both 신청 and 지원 are viable translations for the word application, remember that in English that word has various meanings. Just like some Korean words, one word can mean different things used in different contexts. Korean is a very context based language, so there are possibly MORE of those in Korean. Babelfish and online translators are not always a good bet unless you double check their meanings.

신청 - or Shinch'ong means an application for a passport or visa
지원 - or chiwon means an application for a job, or university

Both paper types of applications asking for entry or acceptance. As for the type of application you're looking for, honestly I'll have to look a little deeper to find it! I know that I have it written down and have heard it....I'm just drawing a blank right now.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific (as MBuzzy mentioned the context) about what I meant. Application as in how a technique is applied to in a form. That is what I meant.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Boon Hae?

Beat me to it....
분해하다 - Bunhaehada - to take to pieces or to dismantle
분해 - Bunhae - dismantle or take apart

Which is basically as close as we can get I think. I have definately heard it in this context before. I couldn't find a more appropriate translation. I will do some more research to ensure that this is the proper translation from Japanese (Bunkai) to Korean (Bunhae)

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I remembered when Exile said it while we were discussing forms applications :lol:. I thought, "oh - that is what the Koreans call it in TKD." It is funny just how close Korean and Japanese are in some respects. Bunkai/Boonhae, Musha/Musa, Te/Tae.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember hearing/reading a different word for the application of techniques. If boon hae is the dismantling of something, certainly there another word used for application. Is it perhaps , "hae sul"? I just noticed the title of StuartA's book. Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sul - Real Applications to the ITF Patterns:

I'm betting that's it.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been looking through my dictionaries (hangul and hanja) for Haesul...now depending on the hangul spelling, it could be a different word, but for haeseol, I found this:

Now, 해설 - Haeseol (pronounced like haesul) - means commentary, but I'm not sure that is what you're looking for.

That COULD be written as haesul - and could very well be what StuartA was referring to. Do meaning way and Haesul meaning commentary....."Way commentary"

BUT, I did find another word....close, which might work for you. I can't believe I didn't think of this one before.

해석 - Haeseok - means interpretation
해석하다 - Haesok'ada - to interpret

Now another possibility is that this Haesul is a Hanja word. Now, in Hanja, Sul means method or technique...but I don't know what just Hae means. I know that in Korean, it means harm.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I remember hearing/reading a different word for the application of techniques. If boon hae is the dismantling of something, certainly there another word used for application. Is it perhaps , "hae sul"? I just noticed the title of StuartA's book. Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sul - Real Applications to the ITF Patterns:

I'm betting that's it.

Boon Hae, Hae Sul, everywhere a "Hae" :lol2:. Ok, seriously though. Perhaps Boon Hae refers to the process of breaking down the Poomsae and extracting the techniques from it. Or maybe, Boon Hae and Hae Sul are interchangeable? I picked a fine time to stop studying Korean Language:waah:.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Boon Hae, Hae Sul, everywhere a "Hae" :lol2:. Ok, seriously though. Perhaps Boon Hae refers to the process of breaking down the Poomsae and extracting the techniques from it. Or maybe, Boon Hae and Hae Sul are interchangeable? I picked a fine time to stop studying Korean Language:waah:.

My thinking at this point is that the process of breaking down a hyung is bunhae and the interpretation of the hyung is haeseok. Then, StuartA's book is actually "Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-way commentary".

At least that's how I'm seeing it at this point. There aren't too many words in Korean that are interchangeable, although its just my luck that I'd find them here!

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My thinking at this point is that the process of breaking down a hyung is bunhae and the interpretation of the hyung is haeseok. Then, StuartA's book is actually "Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-way commentary".

At least that's how I'm seeing it at this point. There aren't too many words in Korean that are interchangeable, although its just my luck that I'd find them here!

I s'pose we could wait for Stuart to chime in on this one. It may help.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Te and Tae are not similar. Te is Japanese/Okinawan for hand, as in Kara Te or Empty Hand. Tae is Korean for using the feet (jumping, smashing, kicking etc.), as in Tae Kwon Do-Foot Hand Way. They sound similar but that's it.
Let's not go overboard on the Korean-Japanese similarities. Korean and Japanese really are not very similar.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Te and Tae are not similar. Te is Japanese/Okinawan for hand, as in Kara Te or Empty Hand. Tae is Korean for using the feet (jumping, smashing, kicking etc.), as in Tae Kwon Do-Foot Hand Way. They sound similar but that's it.
Let's not go overboard on the Korean-Japanese similarities. Korean and Japanese really are not very similar.

Right! You're correct, I got my terminology mixed up! Thanks for the heads up correction. Tae means kicking or stomping with the foot. You seem determined to deny any and all Japanese aspects. The two nations have had lots of contact throughout their histories and have shared cultures and exchanged ideas at times. Hmmm, are you Korean, yourself? That is the vibe that I get from your posts. I ask because I understand what happened on the peninsula and if you are of Korean descent and my constant comparing of the two is offensive to you, then I apologize and I will be more mindful of your sensitivity regarding the issue :asian:.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually I'm not (but thanks for thinking I am :)

It just sounded like Te and Tae were being made to be similar in meaning as well as sound, and I just wanted to emphasize that they are not.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's cool. Man, you are definitely a credit to Korean culture and you would make Korea proud :asian:. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't stepping on your toes or getting too far under your skin by constantly citing such comparisons. No, I gaffed when I said Te/Tae, I was thinking more along the lines of spelling, as the meanings are Te(hand) and Tae(foot, to stomp or smash with the foot).

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, far cry from when I was a geeky 14 year old white boy who just wanted to learn how to defend himself!

Latest Discussions