Korean food?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you ever get a craving for Korean food?

Is it before or after training, or some other time?

What do you enjoy?

My wife thinks I'm crazy because sometimes I crave kimchi. But, I also enjoy bibimbap and bulgoki (along with an occasional OB :).

Miles

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love spicy food and anything with garlic, so Korean food is always OK with me.
But, if I had to choose one type of ethnic food to live on indefinitely, it would be Thai.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never really had Korean food, and don't know what to order. I've had kimchi before, and liked it. The one time I've been to a korean restaurant, I had NO clue as to what to order, so I got chicken wings :idunno: . I felt silly ordering it, but I can be a very picky eater, and I couldn't understand the menu. I wouldn't mind actually trying Korean food, though.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I ordered beef noodle soup and found tendon and marrow in it. Though when I went to a place in Arizona that was WONDERFUL!! You could grill your meat right there at the table and all the ingredients were fresh. Excellent.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
My wife thinks I'm crazy because sometimes I crave kimchi.

Miles, your wife is right. If you even eat kimchi, you're crazy - lol
:flame:

I never have been much for Asian food (especially rice), but hanging out with Koreans after tournaments and workouts, I have often partaken in some. I like the bulgogi, but my favorite thing to order at the Korean or Chinese restaurants is sweet and sour shrimp.

Sr. Master Eisenhart

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
I got completly hooked on korean food when I lived in korea. It was just so good. Even now that I'm back in the states I still eat korean food about 3 times a week. This also could be due to that fact that my wife is korean, but it's still one of my favorite types of food.
-Dave Dempsey-

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am completely HOOKED on Korean food. I know how to cook it, too. Anyone need recipes? :) I fell in love with Kimchi and my honey and me make our own now.

I also love Japanese food (also have a lot of recipes), Some Thai. I can't make anything with fish sause (one main thing Thai's use), tho. It makes me sick. But strong dashi (Japanese fish broth is a good sub tho). I am learning to cook Vietnamese, and Chinese also.

But Korean is my all time fav. And yes, I do crave it, if I don't have it for a few days (I usually have it three times per week, at least).

D Dempsey, I would love to trade recipes with your wife.

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I never met a Korean food that I didn't like, and I LOVE kimchi! I never tried preparing any Korean recipes myself but would love to give it a try.

Pax
Cujo

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
I never really had Korean food, and don't know what to order. I've had kimchi before, and liked it. The one time I've been to a korean restaurant, I had NO clue as to what to order, so I got chicken wings :idunno: . I felt silly ordering it, but I can be a very picky eater, and I couldn't understand the menu. I wouldn't mind actually trying Korean food, though.

Bulgogi is probably the one thing most Americans would like. Its Korean spare ribs. Galbi is similiar, but its on the bone (someone correct me if I got them backwards). Its got a lotta garlic in it, but its really good. I'll eat kimchi, but its not a favorite.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30552 Se this thread to see how much I enjoy Korean food before promotion testing.:uhyeah:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cujo said:
I never met a Korean food that I didn't like, and I LOVE kimchi! I never tried preparing any Korean recipes myself but would love to give it a try.

Pax
Cujo

This is a good place to start http://www.lifeinkorea.com/cgi-bin/menu.cfm you can learn about the different foods and stuff here.

Here's a fairly new site with lots of good recipes and things http://www.trifood.com/food.html

Here's another http://koreanrestaurantguide.com/recipes/recipe_0.htm This one also has cool facts and stuff (including recipes).

But this is my fav cook book to use (eventhough I have several) http://www.koreanfeast.com/

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the links! I forgot all about so-ju! I had many interesting experiances with so-ju while I was in Korea.
:cheers:
Pax
Cujo

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
D Dempsey said:
She actually gets most of her recipes from her mother who is a chef. The main thing you need is a good rice cooker.

I have one ;) And steamers, ect. Can't ya tell I love to cook hehehehehehe.

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad to see I am not the only one who likes kimchi! I like kalbi too. Never got into the soju though....I'm a lightweight. :)

Miles

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
In Japan-town, at a Korean BBQ, I made the mistake of ordering something I thought was fish. . .yeah, it was tripe. :D It was still good, though. MMM. . .intestines.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
I love spicy food and anything with garlic, so Korean food is always OK with me.
But, if I had to choose one type of ethnic food to live on indefinitely, it would be Thai.

Amen, bruddah!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
Glad to see I am not the only one who likes kimchi! I like kalbi too. Never got into the soju though....I'm a lightweight. :)

Miles

No Soju?!?!?!?! Wimp LOL. Just kiddin. Korean Beer (OB) is pretty good, too.

Anyways, no. You are not the only one who loves kimchi. I have a jar in the frig at all times. If I get in the mood, I'll pick at it, or have it with my Korean meals with soju and OB hehehehehehe (I sound like such a lush, don't I? LOL).

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I remember seeing on telivision one time, I think it was on the discovery channel, anyways it talking about the foods of different countries and then they talked about Korean food and they were showing people eating live squid.
The people would wrap the squid (tentacles and all) around a pair of chop sticks and dip it in some type of sauce then eat it.
Has anyone here eaten live squid before? What is it like?
I have eaten raw squid before at a sushi bar and it was yummy, along with cooked eel which was absolutely amazing!! (ever since then I have had a craving for cooked eel)
I have never had the chance to try Korean food, how similar is it to Chinese/Japanese food? And what about Thai food I want to try it too.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We can't get squid or eel cheap here (expensive) so I use scallops or something similar. But I use the Korean sauce for it. It turns out yummy. I'd be game to try the real thing tho.

Latest Discussions