Koppo

gavarn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am a koga ha kosho shurei ryu kempokist and I am courious about a few things. The octagon is very important in our system it is the way we move. We also use Koppo strikes and I was wondering if anyone else out there uses it and what your usage of the octagon is. Also we are taught what the affects of our strikes, misdirections, and leg punches can do to the body and there legal remafacations. is anyone else out there teaching there students this infomation? Koga Ha is the only system I have studied and I am not very knowlagable on what the other systems are teaching. Please enlighten me
smile.gif

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Koppo is a Japanese term for striking especially strike intended to break or dislocate joints

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
gakusei said:
Are you talking about the Koppo Stick?

I don't use one, but it does have some strong supporters.
i believe gavarn is referring to the method used to deliver strikes and not the koppo stick.

KenpoPastor

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
gavarn said:
I am a koga ha kosho shurei ryu kempokist and I am courious about a few things. The octagon is very important in our system it is the way we move. We also use Koppo strikes and I was wondering if anyone else out there uses it and what your usage of the octagon is. Also we are taught what the affects of our strikes, misdirections, and leg punches can do to the body and there legal remafacations. is anyone else out there teaching there students this infomation? Koga Ha is the only system I have studied and I am not very knowlagable on what the other systems are teaching. Please enlighten me
smile.gif

Gav,
Where do you study? In Philadelphia with Master Hissan? I'm curious. The system I study Shinju Ryu Kenpo Jujutsu utilizes the octagon to escape but most of the time we are not peicing it together with Koppo, usually after escaping the initial move we utilize Nage (locks usually leading to throws) or Atemi (striking of nerve centers in transitional movement) sometimes both. I could count the moves I've been shown that lead to permanent damage on one or two hands. As far as legal ramifications are concerned the only thing we're taught is the principle of appropriate force for the situation.
_don

OP
G

gavarn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes koppo are strikes but what can you tell me about your use of the octagon?

gakusei

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
gavarn said:
Yes koppo are strikes but what can you tell me about your use of the octagon?
We use it extensively to demonstrate escapes and attacks in relation to your opponent. Do you have a specific question?

OP
G

gavarn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Don, Yes I am a student of Hassan's and we also use the octagon in our escape patterns but that is just one use for it . In our system it is the basis for all movement. Koppo are strikes done with out a weapon. Don are you falmiluar with the term " attacking the fort" ? As far as the legal thing goes..if you strike a person on the top of the head you have no idea of what the min/ max damage you could do to them? We are given lessons in anadamy and body functions so we know that if we strike a person on the top of the head the least it could do is cause dizziness and the worst could result in death. I would think all systeme would teach their students about that. Don where r u located?

KenpoPastor said:
Gav,
Where do you study? In Philadelphia with Master Hissan? I'm curious. The system I study Shinju Ryu Kenpo Jujutsu utilizes the octagon to escape but most of the time we are not peicing it together with Koppo, usually after escaping the initial move we utilize Nage (locks usually leading to throws) or Atemi (striking of nerve centers in transitional movement) sometimes both. I could count the moves I've been shown that lead to permanent damage on one or two hands. As far as legal ramifications are concerned the only thing we're taught is the principle of appropriate force for the situation.
_don

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
gavarn said:
Hi Don, Yes I am a student of Hassan's and we also use the octagon in our escape patterns but that is just one use for it . In our system it is the basis for all movement. Koppo are strikes done with out a weapon. Don are you falmiluar with the term " attacking the fort" ? As far as the legal thing goes..if you strike a person on the top of the head you have no idea of what the min/ max damage you could do to them? We are given lessons in anadamy and body functions so we know that if we strike a person on the top of the head the least it could do is cause dizziness and the worst could result in death. I would think all systeme would teach their students about that. Don where r u located?
By the term attacking the fort are you referring to "Bassai Dai"?
Striking down on top of the head is probably a risky proposition at best!!

KenpoPastor

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
gavarn said:
In our system it is the basis for all movement.
Yes, whether we know it or not we all move along an octagon. The octagon is where everywhere we are.
gavarn said:
Koppo are strikes done with out a weapon.
Bone breaking arts in our vernacular.
gavarn said:
Don are you falmiluar with the term " attacking the fort" ?
Yes.
gavarn said:
As far as the legal thing goes..if you strike a person on the top of the head you have no idea of what the min/ max damage you could do to them? We are given lessons in anadamy and body functions so we know that if we strike a person on the top of the head the least it could do is cause dizziness and the worst could result in death. I would think all systeme would teach their students about that.
Agreed.
gavarn said:
Don where r u located?
Central New Jersey. Unfortunately I'm about 2 hours away from any school that's studies center around the Koga arts such as Koga Ha Kosho Shorei or Kosho Shorei Ryu (Juchnik) I would love to supplement my studies of the octagon at one of these schools. As it is I have to drive 45 minutes to study with my present school. My instructor has said he may one day study with Master Hassan to further his understanding of the Octagon.

_don

Latest Discussions