Knife defences in Aikido

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's silly (and girly) of me but I like the prettier belt colors on Martial Talk and I enjoy changing my avatars to try to match it. :eek: I wouldn't be sad if I was reverted back to green as it's fun going through the colors. And besides, once you hit black, that's it. ;) :)

Robyn :asian:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And besides, once you hit black, that's it.
Yeah, but black goes with anything!;)
I prefer the knife and gun disarms that I am learning in aikido to those that I have learned in other arts for the simple reason that all of them (that I've seen so far) call for immediate control of the knife hand vice several strikes to nerve bundles before controlling the weapon. It just seems to me that any first strike that isn't a controlling movement is giving your attacker more time to employ his/her weapon.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That site is down for now. JAS I am under the understanding that the knife and gun disarms in Nihon Goshin Aikido are taken from ninjutsu/ninpo and are not the disarms that were originally taught in NGA. Sooo, if that site is down and you can find a QUALITY ninjutsu site you should still be able to get a look at what the knife disarms for NGA look like.

((JAS: greetings from the Roanoke, Va NGA dojo. Glad to see you back in here))

Latest Discussions