Knee damage...

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably not the place for this but is where I know most of you from so...

About a week ago performed a leg check with the left leg. Loud crack here across the room and down I went. Felt like my knee blew up. Have been unable to straighten the leg since. X-rays show bone fragments spewed through out the knee joint. So tomorrow morning I'll be the recipient of a total left knee replacement. Sucks but...knees have been jack up for several years with my right being the most painful. Now the left is done and am told I'll have to drastically reduce my training regimen. Take care of your knees!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully the new knee will be better than the old one.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Will continue to teach until...
I'll change my personal training for sure but I really enjoy the hard heavy training and I'll miss that.
The bones in your hands are still good right?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You'll heal up well, Danny, ain't going to slow you done much.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really sucks. I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm sure it'll all go well in the end.

As we age, we need to adapt our technique and training methods. The guys in their 40s (I'm just about there) can't train the same way we did when we we're in our 20s. Same for people in their 50s, 60s, etc. The ones who don't adapt will see their training end very quickly; the ones who do adapt continue on for as long as they want to.

Take a look at pro athletes. The smart ones realize they can't beat their opponents purely with speed and athleticism when they start aging and change their game. The ones who refuse to adapt seem like they aged 20 years in a single season and they're gone.

In training for a tournament where my opponents will mostly be 25-27, I've come to realize this the hard way. If I try to do what I did my last tournament (I was 25), I'll be done pretty quickly.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That sucks Danny.

I've been out of commission for the last month and a half because of a knee injury. Amazing how that joint effects your movement.

Good luck on your surgery.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That sucks Danny.

I've been out of commission for the last month and a half because of a knee injury. Amazing how that joint effects your movement.

Good luck on your surgery.

Hanzou, how did you hurt it? Training? I ask because I'm always looking for things to be aware of, and I don't talk to as many BJJ guys as I used to.

Hope you heal well, bro.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hanzou, how did you hurt it? Training? I ask because I'm always looking for things to be aware of, and I don't talk to as many BJJ guys as I used to.

Hope you heal well, bro.

Actually no, I got injured playing basketball after work. I got a really nasty ACL tear from trying to stop a lay up. :(

However, I did get that same ligament pulled a few years back when I was in mount and I improperly grapevined my partner's leg. He simply moved his leg laterally and it pulled my ACL, causing pain for months. So yeah, watch out for that.:oops:

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Update - feeling good, feeling strong.
Thanks to everyone for your encouragement.

Went in at 5:00 am surgery at 7:00 out of recovery around 9:30
Pain is deep and had some muscle cramping. Therapist had me work on flexing my ankle as far forward as I could (pointing with the toes) & then pulling them toward the shin. Then worked on lifting the leg off the bed approx. 6 inches and a slight knee bend and pushing to get the back of toward the bed with my ankle elevate on a 6" south roller. After lunch we did it again. Around 4 pm therapist came with a 4 leg walker; let's see if you can stand and put some weight on the leg. Uncomfortable but did it. Doc came by and asked if I could take a step or two?
Slowly took 3 steps. Feeling strong I walked down the hall and back.
It was fantastic!
I'll be back in the train center soon.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Update - feeling good, feeling strong.
Thanks to everyone for your encouragement.

Went in at 5:00 am surgery at 7:00 out of recovery around 9:30
Pain is deep and had some muscle cramping. Therapist had me work on flexing my ankle as far forward as I could (pointing with the toes) & then pulling them toward the shin. Then worked on lifting the leg off the bed approx. 6 inches and a slight knee bend and pushing to get the back of toward the bed with my ankle elevate on a 6" south roller. After lunch we did it again. Around 4 pm therapist came with a 4 leg walker; let's see if you can stand and put some weight on the leg. Uncomfortable but did it. Doc came by and asked if I could take a step or two?
Slowly took 3 steps. Feeling strong I walked down the hall and back.
It was fantastic!
I'll be back in the train center soon.
Had the surgery this morning and you're already walking? Excellent!

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had the surgery this morning and you're already walking? Excellent!
Thanks Tony,
My doc said he wanted me to walk as soon as I felt I could. Felt strong so walked. In all honesty it was tougher than I thought it would be and I'll ready to do it again in the morning.

doublejabbing

White Belt
Reaction score
knee health is beyond important. After multiple torn ACLs MCLs and meniscus, i can no longer kick or throw any knee period.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Total sympathy. I have jacked up knees and ankles too. A friend of mine named Harry has had both knees replaced and still teaches Wing Chun in Texas. Recovery after the surgeries was an ordeal. But now he's happily back to teaching. He doesn't do everything he used to, but what he does do he does very well.

What he used to do--
http://www.austinvtkungfu.com/site_media/images/sifu_harry_flying_kick.jpg

What he does now--
upload_2016-4-20_22-25-6.png

Me and Harry:
upload_2016-4-20_22-26-29.png

When I grow up, I want to be like him! :)

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-20_22-22-49.png
    upload_2016-4-20_22-22-49.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited: