Kerry's hometown paper endorses Bush

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really don't understand why they would do such a thing - regardless of who specifically they're endorsing. News agencies should not be endorsing candidates. I'm curious, did they endorse Bush 4 years ago as well?

OP
P

PeachMonkey

Flatlander said:
I really don't understand why they would do such a thing - regardless of who specifically they're endorsing. News agencies should not be endorsing candidates.

It's very traditional (at least in the states) for the Editorial/Opinion page of a newspaper to endorse candidates both in local and national elections.

OP
S

SMP

Flatlander said:
I really don't understand why they would do such a thing - regardless of who specifically they're endorsing. News agencies should not be endorsing candidates. I'm curious, did they endorse Bush 4 years ago as well?
Our local papers do the same thing - even in local county primaries.. I agree it is inapropriate.

OP
P

PeachMonkey

Flatlander said:
By remaining non-partisan, they may appeal to a broader audience. Bad business, if you ask me.

I don't really have a problem with newspapers having opinion and editorial pages.

Ideally, the opinion pages should have no bearing on the reporting side of the paper.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Um.....last I heard, Kerry was born in Aurora, Colorado, and lived in Boston, MA. So when did Lowell, MA become his "home town"?

OP
P

PeachMonkey

Phoenix44 said:
Um.....last I heard, Kerry was born in Aurora, Colorado, and lived in Boston, MA. So when did Lowell, MA become his "home town"?

One might argue that Lowell is part of the greater Boston metropolitan area.

Moreover, Kerry spent time as a prosecutor in Lowell.

It's not unlike billing the Crawford paper as Bush's "hometown" paper, even though he was born in New Haven, CT, and grew up in Midland, Houston, and eastern Prep Schools.