Kel Tec Sub2000

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I went to the range this weekend to get better acquainted with my new-to-me 9mm Sub2k (Glock). One 10-round mag and three "Happy Sticks."

I eventually got to the point where I was reliably hitting a pie sized target at 25 yards. Not supper great marksmanship but I'm a pretty indifferent Rifleman so not bad at all for me.

I seriously like this gun.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have looked into the Sub2K for a backpacking. My choice would be .40 due to existing equipment. The flexibility of a small carbine compatible with my other equipment is kind of appealing.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, it certainly folds up into a small package, which would be great for backpacking. However, you do have to unfold it to fire so it's not ready-to-go until you do. And if you use the 10 round mag it's flush fitting so you could just leave the mag in the well.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't leave it folded up that would make it no better than a club if I needed it. I would rig a scabbard onto my pack. Plus only having to carry one type of magazine makes things much simpler.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't leave it folded up that would make it no better than a club if I needed it. I would rig a scabbard onto my pack. Plus only having to carry one type of magazine makes things much simpler.

This sounds like you are thinking of carrying a handgun and a carbine when you are out backpacking. I really have to ask why? A pistol and a carbine, even this KelTec puts you in the same weight range as a 12 gauge shotgun. If you are concerned about something big and bad, I'd take the 12g every time. If you are concerned about something 2 legged, generally the pistol would be just fine.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
even this KelTec puts you in the same weight range as a 12 gauge shotgun.
A Remington 870 weighs about 8 pounds. A Sub2000 weighs 4 pounds.

I make no comment on suitability of purpose for either product in comparison with each other.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
My 12 gauge is definitely heavier and longer than the 2K. I always carry a sidearm in the woods. The carbine gives a little extra range with the added advantage of the same magazines and ammunition. Hence no confusion when I chose either one.

I usually carry a sidearm and one long gun when backpacking. The carbine is smaller and lighter. While it doesn't have the power of a 12 gauge (or any of my other long guns for that matter) it would certainly be an asset. I subscribe to the 2 is 1, 1 is none philosophy.

Latest Discussions