How many of you keep records of kata break downs

• I do as these are vital to training

• I do not I can just remember them all

• I dont care about kata

Results are only viewable after voting.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not going to post on the importance of kata as we have already had that discussion. But something I have been doing with my Break Downs is I write down every break down in discription for every move ( some may have 5 break downs some may have more than 5 some less) what do you do to remember your break downs, have you done this

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to do that, write down everything-reams of notes. But then I found books and changed the details - they had a lot of errors in them!!! Not ways the instructors were doing them but real errors. So I went through them all and wrote details taught above. One year, I gave a family of black belts a Taeguek book with changes noted (not details). Now I have 4 books going with ITF Traditional forms and Taekguek. 20 forms in my head. So I keep practicing them at least once a week and only occasionally consult my books. Recommend that for us over 40 somethings.... TW

PS. Hey, I just noticed, I made 2nd dan on MT. But I haven't broke my board yet...

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Many of the old martial arts teachers/students took crib notes on their training.

For example "The Bubishi" is actually a collection of several people’s notes.

It's a good book but highly over rated for its value of information.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In our school students are required to keep an updated note book complete with techniques, sets, and forms, as well as notes on theory, concepts, and history. My notebooks are some of my most prized possesions and are invaluable to me. I know I've forgotten more than I remember, and the notebooks help me to keep small details that I might lose. Also, going back through my notebooks as I progress, I see how I described certain moves and have a chance to see how far I've come in my training, and also how my understanding of my material has evolved. A simple technique might have once taken two lines on paper, but maybe now I take two pages to describe it. For me, that's alot of fun.

-Rob

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I prefer to keep it in my head. Sometimes it's nice to be able to reference the breakdowns somewhere on paper, but I think my physical actions are better stored in my memory, muscle memory preferably.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm a big believer in writing things down. Kata's, techniques and such can then be traced back to the original source. of course, if you practice a style that is popular cgances are that the nuts and bolts are allready posted on the wb!

Todd

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
What's a "kata break down"?
Some call it Bunkai or analysis of what you are doing in the kata and how to apply it
Todd

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't know how to vote.
In my art the forms are already 'broken-down' in that they are merely our already existing self defense techs in a different, strung together, format.

Your brother
John

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Brother John said:
I didn't know how to vote.
In my art the forms are already 'broken-down' in that they are merely our already existing self defense techs in a different, strung together, format.

Your brother
John
I agree. With American Kenpo, the forms are established with "broken-down" parts (generally are techniques or basic movements). There also are scores of written material focusing on the how-tos and whys.

Some instructors encourage their students to write down their own, it is very possible for a student to get by on what is out there. I've heard it said, "why invent the wheel when its already there?"

- Ceicei

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
I agree. With American Kenpo, the forms are established with "broken-down" parts (generally are techniques or basic movements). There also are scores of written material focusing on the how-tos

- Ceicei
Bunkai or breaking down the forms applies more to Katas from Karate. They tend to be a little more obscure in meaning than most kenpo dances. Karate Kata being less definite are also more open to "personal" variations in applications.
Todd

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Karate Kata being less definite are also more open to "personal" variations in applications.
Todd
I don't believe this is accurate...

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I write everything down that I learn as far as katas and techniques anyway.........not the basics. My notes have proved invaluable to me over time when I've been in between studios, lost instructors, etc. Now, my instructor has just put out a new DVD set of himself going thru and demonstrating in the air and on the body all the material for the levels up to 3rd brown......I plan to ask for those for Christmas, but will still take notes for the stuff I learn that isn't on the DVD's yet. I will also be able to compare what I have written with what I see on the DVD's.

:asian: :karate:

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
How so? Most Kenpo forms you can move and insert moves to alter base techniques, True.
Kata Bunkai allow you do the same. However because some of th moves are broader you have more roads to chose from.
Todd

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Kai said:
How so? Most Kenpo forms you can move and insert moves to alter base techniques, True.
Kata Bunkai allow you do the same. However because some of th moves are broader you have more roads to chose from.
Todd
I disagree also:
For instance
We have a form that is a 'skills' form for lack of a better term. It's mostly stepping and blocking.... but I've shown some of my students how you can change the "application" (Bunkai) of some of the transitions to be sweeps/throws. It works too.
Kenpo forms (there are no 'dances') are every bit as flexible as Okinawan or Japanese Karate-Do forms (if not more so).

BTW: Kenpo Karate IS a style of Karate. (in ref. to...)
Bunkai or breaking down the forms applies more to Katas from Karate. They tend to be a little more obscure in meaning than most kenpo dances. Karate Kata being less definite are also more open to "personal" variations in applications.
Your Brother
John

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am sorry our GM refers to them as Dances. no disrespect intended. As far as Kenpo being a styke of karate. Well, IMHO I don't think so. Kenpo has major, m=inor motions lines and circles-it is closer to Kung fu I think

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Todd

I don't see variation as much of an option in TKD forms. Sometimes, I see a black belt trying to add a little bit like slowing down something and then my master says he should have done it fast. This view of what's right is from the master's perspective as he was taught by his grandmaster but is our only gauge. So we try to do exact movements, no flexibility to change it personally, except for higher kicks. It might look different, rate of flow, deep stances, smooth movement, details but those, I think, are just variances in what the practictioner has achieved so far in his individual study. TW

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I don't see variation as much of an option in TKD forms. Sometimes, I see a black belt trying to add a little bit like slowing down something and then my master says he should have done it fast. This view of what's right is from the master's perspective as he was taught by his grandmaster but is our only gauge. So we try to do exact movements, no flexibility to change it personally, except for higher kicks. It might look different, rate of flow, deep stances, smooth movement, details but those, I think, are just variances in what the practictioner has achieved so far in his individual study. TW
Please no dis respect intended, but what you are talking about is performance-which is usally pretty tightly regulated. Bunkai is the analysis and application.
Which can add depth and meaning to the form. the variation come from the instructor or federation choses as how to apply the moves.
Todd

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
The Kai is quite accurate in his statement.
There is more than one answer for any given movement in a kata.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
That's odd since most of the TKD forms were borrowed from Okinawan karate...........therefore variation on bunkai would be just as much an option in TKD as well.