Karate or ju jitsu

cliveanstey

White Belt
Reaction score
I am currently training in kickboxing and am about a year away from my black belt. I am now free on a Thursday night for training. And was thinking of starting something more traditional. There is 2 local schools 1st is fudoshin ju jitsu and the 2nd is kobe osaka karate. I want the best in self defense to cross train my kickboxing. What do you think?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Without nowing anything about either of them, I would imagine karate would cover a lot of the striking already covered in your kickboxing, where as the Ju-Jitsu is more likely to cover things not coved in your kickboxing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without nowing anything about either of them, I would imagine karate would cover a lot of the striking already covered in your kickboxing, where as the Ju-Jitsu is more likely to cover things not coved in your kickboxing.
I'd agree with this. If the OP wants to polish his striking and add some new tools to his striking toolkit, the Karate might be a fit. If he wants to expand his toolkit more broadly, the Ju-Jitsu will be more useful there.

To the OP: What will matter more is whether you like the training. Visit both schools, talk to the instructors, watch a class or two, get on the mats if you can without paying, and pick the one that looks more interesting to you.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know a lot will say you already do kickboxing so you know striking so doing karate would be pointless but there's a lot of strikes in karate that aren't in kickboxing but it's more up to you and what you want. You may hate grappling and if that's the case there's no point training it

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't know kickboxing had a belt system, anyway I would take up the Jiu Jitsu since taking karate will basically just show you a different flavor of what you already been doing.

Jiu Jitsu would be an entirely new experience for you.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am currently training in kickboxing and am about a year away from my black belt. I am now free on a Thursday night for training. And was thinking of starting something more traditional. There is 2 local schools 1st is fudoshin ju jitsu and the 2nd is kobe osaka karate. I want the best in self defense to cross train my kickboxing. What do you think?

Well, it's really going to depend on what you want... and what you expect. You talk about doing something more traditional, then talk about the best in self defence... those aren't often found in the one location, and are rather different approaches. In addition, you'd need to define what you mean by "traditional"... the karate system is an off-shoot of Tani-ha Shito Ryu Shukokai Karate-do... which was founded by Tani Sensei with a focus on training methods and adaptations to performance specifically to win tournaments (it's my old system, for the record). Fudoshin Jujitsu is a modern, Western, Judo-based system of "jujitsu"... not what I would class as traditional, and something I'd only think of as "jujitsu" in name alone... without getting into the same old conversation of the inaccurate spelling itself...

At the end of the day, though, it will come down to which school appeals to you more... which is as much the instructor, the class schedule, the other students, the fee structure, and so on as it is the actual system taught there. If you are after something more specific, though, if you let us know where you are (approximately), then we might be able to suggest or locate something you hadn't considered.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although a black belt amounts to not much. Maybe just keep training. No offense intended.

lamanilad

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I don't practice anyone of them but I see karate more as a combat sports and ju-jitsu as a self defense sport. But If you practice kick boxing, karate use more legs than ju-jitsu. :)

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I don't practice anyone of them but I see karate more as a combat sports and ju-jitsu as a self defense sport. But If you practice kick boxing, karate use more legs than ju-jitsu. :)
Self defence isn't a sport.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

How on earth do you work that out? Jiu jitsu especially these days seems to have way more competitions than karate does

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or, per the OP topic, "Ju-Jitsu". So many versions...

41fuSyjTHKL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

A Nazis worst nightmare.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Although a black belt amounts to not much. Maybe just keep training. No offense intended.

That would depend how and where you got it. Some schools might be belt factories but with some schools and the styles they teach it makes a big difference. To earn a BJJ black belt for instance, you aren't going to do so without putting in your time and really working hard. Earning a black belt in BJJ is to say the least admirable.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Welcome to MartialTalk, cliveanstay.

When you visit both, which I'm sure you will, you'll know. Just go with your gut.

Latest Discussions