karate for mma.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Been looking at karate in a mma context.

at the moment we have better karate guys than kick boxers training with us. And so are primarily using karate and boxing to add the striking element.

and it does have some advantages. Compared to Thai. It tends to be a bit more deceptive and a bit harder to grapple on. It utilises a lot of tricky angles. And emphases speed.

concept wise. Worth a look.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been looking at karate in a mma context.

at the moment we have better karate guys than kick boxers training with us. And so are primarily using karate and boxing to add the striking element.

and it does have some advantages. Compared to Thai. It tends to be a bit more deceptive and a bit harder to grapple on. It utilises a lot of tricky angles. And emphases speed.

concept wise. Worth a look.

IMO, seeing that many MMA fighters started from a Karate or TMA background, I don't see why some things from the stand up arts, can't be applied to MMA.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd also consider the roots of kick boxing makes it no surprise that karateka are good when it comes to stand up. Muay Thai and karate have more in common that they have differences.

D

Deleted member 32980

I think karate doesn't have enough of a variety of style to compensate for mma. But on the other hand if your a karate master you may have a chance.

It's respectable either way. Win or lose.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd also consider the roots of kick boxing makes it no surprise that karateka are good when it comes to stand up. Muay Thai and karate have more in common that they have differences.

some of the differences are a bit interesting. Round house kicks fired off as a whip rather than the Thai baseball bat. (yes generalization) means you can land the shin with the knee more bent.

that becomes a single leg defence if they shoot in.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Karate is a generic term, there are many styles within the umbrella of 'Karate'. There are quite large variations in style between the various types of Karate. I'm not sure you can say that there isn't enough variety of style within karate, perhaps if you narrow it down? My style Wado Ryu has huge variations in it including grappling, throws and takedowns, other styles do as well. We use elbows and knees every bit as much as Muay Thai

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think karate doesn't have enough of a variety of style to compensate for mma. But on the other hand if your a karate master you may have a chance.

It's respectable either way. Win or lose.

with the kyuokashin guys i play with if they stand toe to toe they get taken down. But if they play at range and use evasive footwork. They can be really tricky.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Karate is a generic term, there are many styles within the umbrella of 'Karate'. There are quite large variations in style between the various types of Karate. I'm not sure you can say that there isn't enough variety of style within karate, perhaps if you narrow it down? My style Wado Ryu has huge variations in it including grappling, throws and takedowns, other styles do as well. We use elbows and knees every bit as much as Muay Thai

kyokashin.

they lead with the knee and snap kick.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some of the differences are a bit interesting. Round house kicks fired off as a whip rather than the Thai baseball bat. (yes generalization) means you can land the shin with the knee more bent.

that becomes a single leg defence if they shoot in.

Sorry that's going over my head lol? It's the baseball bit, I'm not familiar with the game so don't understand the example. Now if you'd said cricket...............:)

Latest Discussions