Kame

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just curious...

when you are training a technique or kata in the dojo, do you begin in a specific kame, or do you start out in shizen?

If you start in shizen, do you transition at all, prior to the attack coming in, such as a prep step, or somthing else?

Remember, Im talking about learning/working new techniques... not "actual use" in a confrontation.

ShaneLayton

White Belt
Reaction score
My notes all seem to have techniques starting out in a specific kamae. So when we train in the dojo, we always start out that way until we get a good feel for the technique, then we start playing with the footwork, angling, uke's attack, and doing the technique from different kamae (including shizen).

Shane

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Just curious...

when you are training a technique or kata in the dojo, do you begin in a specific kame, or do you start out in shizen?

If you start in shizen, do you transition at all, prior to the attack coming in, such as a prep step, or somthing else?

Remember, Im talking about learning/working new techniques... not "actual use" in a confrontation.
Well, let see, if we are working with a new movement (technique) we generally start in Shizen, unless for some reason another kamae is demonstrated, such as Jumonji No Kamae or whatever.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "transition", I would say it is always a state of transition, that is why I would say practicing new movements, rather than new techniques. As I see it, they are always the same set of techniques. Just the movement varies, depending on the shape of the attack and this of course changes the manner of which you apply the available techniques.

Just my $.02 cents worth.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Just curious...

when you are training a technique or kata in the dojo, do you begin in a specific kamae, or do you start out in shizen?
Yes.

I'd like to do more stuff starting from seiza. Not many people in my group agree.

Shizen is by far the most common starting position, especially for Tori.
Prep step? Hmm. Is Oni Kudaki just a particular formation of arm lock, or is there footwork involved, or is it something else?

Where are you going with this?

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
You are aware that "kame" means "turtle" in Japanese...?
Duh.

I was asking about being a Ninja Turtle.

No, I dont speak Japanese, somtimes I make spelling errors. (Not that my english is much better)

Would you like me to go back and edit all the posts and fix the spelling or are you Ok with that?

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I am not sure I understand what you mean by "transition", I would say it is always a state of transition, that is why I would say practicing new movements, rather than new techniques.
Yeah, this is confusing... but I mean, like... if you are in (ok, ya know what, I am NOT ever using another Japanese term so cope with my poor english definitions, monkeys) a natural standing posture, do you, before the oponent attacks, say... prep step or raise your hands, or some other, prepatory movemnt that is not into one of the basic stances but is not exactly "natural standing posture" either... somthing between?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:

Yes.
:supcool:

As for prep steps, I know a Japanese teacher that does it. My current one does not. If you know something is coming, you should be trying to angle yourself better rather than stay in something as open as shizen, even if you move to a position like Hoko that still does not look like a 'fighting stance.'

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Just curious...

when you are training a technique or kata in the dojo, do you begin in a specific kame, ...
From what I've been exposed to in Koto ryu and Gyokko ryu, absolutely yes. If you're using the Shu, Ha, Ri progression of learning, you more often than not will begin in a kamae other than shizen. The reason for this is to learn how your posture and positioning give you and your opponent advantages and disadvantages.

Technopunk said:
My personal opinion is that it's good to start from shizen when working on practical application, but start from the kamae you want to emphasize when working on fundamentals.

Enjoy.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
As for prep steps, I know a Japanese teacher that does it.
We learned it from a Student of a Japanese Teacher who was visiting, so Im willing to bet it may be the same one.

Latest Discussions