Run away!!!

Fight or Flight???

• RUN A WAY!!! Imediately!!!

• Keep trying to resolve with words.

• Fight until an opportunity arises to run.

• Beat the living crap out of the person. (and WALK home)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have noticed quite a few references to "running away" being a distinguished part of this art. I was just curious how many of you feel that you would run away in a physical confrontation. Would you choose to stay and fight or run as a first instinct?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, all that comes to mind is....

Brave Sir Robin ran away.
Bravely ran away, away!
When danger reared its ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat,
Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!

He is packing it in and packing it up
And sneaking away and buggering up
And chickening out and pissing off home,
Yes, bravely he is throwing in the sponge..

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
it's hard to answer
i voted run away
which would be in case of a serious threat, like i feel someone is following me or something..
but say, my friend is in trouble i would pick the last choice, beat the crap out of the person and walk home. which reminds me of last year when some guy attacked my dad in front of me, i grabbed a stick and started beating the guy LOL

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted try to resolve with words, but it totaly depends.

I can see the merit in running, but somtimes you just cant.

if you cant flee, Id say de-escalate. If you cant de-escalate, fight, until you can flee, or, if you cannot then until you dont need to flee... but then leave as quickly as you can.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Satt said:
I have noticed quite a few references to "running away" being a distinguished part of this art. I was just curious how many of you feel that you would run away in a physical confrontation. Would you choose to stay and fight or run as a first instinct?
I'm interested in what your answer to the poll was, and why? :)

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Satt said:
I chose fight 'till you can run. I am assuming that by physical confrontation you mean that I am attacked. I certainly wouldn't turn my back to flying fists, I'd prefer them in my face where I am better equipped to control them before making my escape.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I live in the L.A. area, and like in many urban areas, a confrontation doesn't just involve physically scrapping, but also it may involve a thug shooting a firearm at you. What are you going to do if you're an excellent martial artist, and someone confronts you? In the back of one's mind here I'm sure is the thought of "is this punk *** strapped with a gun". What are you going to do? :idunno:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't vote, because it would depend on the situation. All of the above seem to support a "Confrontation" or "Match" where two people would square off. I think in many instances the attack can happen without any foreknowledge and one will have to act and not think. So where does that fit in?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Monday night on my way to do some Kenpo oddly enough some dip**** just moved into the neighborhood. Couldn't have been there a week yet. Anyhow there's 2 sharp curves to get out of our place. He was outside with a couple of friends when I was driving by. Curves go left then immediately right. So I had to look over at him to make sure I wasn't going to hit him or his car sitting almost on the road especially since it's one car length wide. The biggest guy starts yelling at me for staring at him. At this point he start to run out in the road yelling profane words and throwing his arms out. I stopped the car and looked at him in my rear view mirror laughing at him. My first initial thought was to slam it in reverse and run his stupid *** over. I hung my head out the window listening to him still yelling when I looked at him and said "You're an idiot for wanting to fight and have no idea what problems going off half cocked can get you in". I drove off to the studio and he was still in the road with his arms up wanting to fight.
What an idiot.

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I voted to resolve with words. Then if this idividual will not stop be prepared to defend yourself. Should they have a weapon and I am not backed in to a corner then run like Forest Gump.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I say try to resolve peacefully. If that fails, let the other guy take the first swing, best him and walk home.

kenpo0324

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kenpobldr said:
I voted to resolve with words. Then if this idividual will not stop be prepared to defend yourself. Should they have a weapon and I am not backed in to a corner then run like Forest Gump.
I agree with Kenpobldr on this matter..

OP
Satt

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry everyone. As usual I didn't explain myself well enough. In "Ninjutsu", I am told running away is a good thing to do. What I was asking is if some person is yelling and shoving you and so on... then what would you do??? I am not talking about weapons or anything. What I meant by talking was trying to deescalate by talking. I chose that by the way. I just wanted to know what would be your first instinct in that kind of situation. Sorry for being unclear. :)

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Satt said:
I'm sorry everyone. As usual I didn't explain myself well enough. In "Ninjutsu", I am told running away is a good thing to do. What I was asking is if some person is yelling and shoving you and so on... then what would you do??? I am not talking about weapons or anything. What I meant by talking was trying to deescalate by talking. I chose that by the way. I just wanted to know what would be your first instinct in that kind of situation. Sorry for being unclear. :)
Well if they are trying to shove me then knock the ever living **** out of them.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Satt said:
Sounds like in the situation, someone was taunting you or "Challenging" you. Sounds like you did the right thing. ;)

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd be more afraid of a knife being pulled out, actually.

My instructor told me that during the times he had to be violent, he always attacked first. I think when the situation escalates beyond a certain point (exactly which point seems futile to define), fight like hell and get away as soon as you can.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kenpobldr said:

Yup, pretty much... I agree, you have to assess the situation, then make the decison to negotate, fight back or flee.... :mst:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Satt said:

Is there a reason why you have to try to deescalate the situation? You can't say, "I don't want a fight, I'm leaving" and let the guy think he pushed you around? And if you announce (loudly) your willingness to leave and start for the door, then when the police ask who was responsible for the fight the witnesses can say that you tried to get away and the other guy chased you. If he does not, you get home in one piece.

I know a guy who walked into a bar in Hong Kong only to be accosted by a guy who screamed "You're a (censored) POM aren't you? I hate (censored) POMs!!!" A minute later, the guy charged him and tried to brain him with a bar stool. When he told me the story I asked "when he screamed at you the second you walked in the door, why the heck didn't you turn around, walk out the door and tell the guy there that you were leaving because you did not like the treatment by other customers." He did not give me a very good answer IMO.

It is not like most of us need to settle things and can't leave. We don't have to stay at a certain bar, don't have to remain silent and not go to those in charge. Let them take care of the guy.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Is there a reason why you have to try to deescalate the situation? You can't say, "I don't want a fight, I'm leaving" and let the guy think he pushed you around?
I see that as de-escalation.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I see that as de-escalation.

I think that de-escalation is when you do not try to get away, but instead try to settle the problem without violence or leaving. If you are a bouncer, police officer, employee, Nurse in a hospital for the criminally violent insane, I think you have a need to try to stay around and talk the guy down.

Otherwise, get the heck out of there.

Latest Discussions