Kahr PM9?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree. We've had one "blow up" in a shooter's hand. I was there; it blasted the extractor rod and magazine out, but didn't hurt his hand much. (I know that some of the reported Glock explosive failures have caused injuries; I'm not dismissing them.) Our initial examination found that there was a lot of gunk built up in the guts of the gun (places like the firing pin channel and the extractor rod channel that you just don't ordinarily clean without a detail inspection and cleaning), and we also suspected a hot factory load. (It happens...) Glock's examination found that nothing was wrong with the gun, and they blamed the ammo. (Big surprise there...) But that's been one gun in my personal experience out of maybe several hundred, between rookie schools and other training.
Same thing happened. It also cracked the barrel. He got 7 stitches in his hand and a big chunk of metal imbedded in his safety goggles. Glock blamed Winchester (ammo company) Winchester blamed Glock.

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Same thing happened. It also cracked the barrel. He got 7 stitches in his hand and a big chunk of metal imbedded in his safety goggles. Glock blamed Winchester (ammo company) Winchester blamed Glock.

In this case I tend to believe Glock. Winchester has had a lot of problems as of late regarding double charges. Just saw a recall notice up at the gun counter at Wally world. This is why I buy the TulAmmo.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In this case I tend to believe Glock. Winchester has had a lot of problems as of late regarding double charges. Just saw a recall notice up at the gun counter at Wally world. This is why I buy the TulAmmo.
This was about 10 years ago. Winchester Ranger SXT. Never once have I had an issue with it. Other then a few crimped casings but I doubt they would have even chambered

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glocks are ok Im just not a fan. Even more annoying are the Glock fanboys that run around acting like its the best gun ever made.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glocks are ok Im just not a fan. Even more annoying are the Glock fanboys that run around acting like its the best gun ever made.

Never said that, either. But I do think that the Glock guns are excellent cop or self defense guns. They're simply so tolerant of abuse and so reliable even when abused... The mechanism and design is simple, and free of extraneous elements. There's just not much to go wrong -- and when it does, it's usually shooter induced and cleared easily.

Sigs are great guns, too. But they're also more finicky. Not so familiar with Kahr -- but haven't heard anything really bad about 'em either.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Until they explode. I haven't even cleaned my Sig in years and never had a single issue.
Now Smith and Wesson M and P are junk. We have had the factory reps at our station 3 times so far. A neighboring county police sent them all back. We were on the verge of sending them back.

Never seen a Glock have any problems. Not saying that they could or have not just my experience they have been absolutely fantastic! There is a reason why people like Glocks, simple, efficient with few if ever any problems. The reason I have found why some people hate glocks is that they do not like how it fits in their hands. Jks9199 made some very good points about just why they are a great self-defense and law enforcement guns. Reliable, free of extraneous mechanisms and capable of taking abuse. Look I love Glocks in comparison to other firearms I have fired through the years. However, they are not the only firearm I carry. I also usually have a back up gun around my ankle and that usually is one of my small revolvers.

As for your favorite ie. your Sig that is a good firearm as well. I had one in the past. I liked everything about it but the weight and also the feel in my hand. Quite a few of my friends also fire Sig's. (their primary duty gun) It is not a Glock but it is still a good gun! ;)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will say that for Carol she should check out a few and see if she can fire them either at the store or with some friends. That way she can choose what she likes and feels right for her.

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I will say that for Carol she should check out a few and see if she can fire them either at the store or with some friends. That way she can choose what she likes and feels right for her.

And feed it a variety of ammo while testing it! I made a mistake buying a Walther PK380 after only firing one brand through it. Other people swear by theirs but I only swear at mine.

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This was about 10 years ago. Winchester Ranger SXT. Never once have I had an issue with it. Other then a few crimped casings but I doubt they would have even chambered

I wasn't even old enough to buy a handgun then. Can't imagine going out without it now. Criminals like my 20 year old self are out there...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Never said that, either. But I do think that the Glock guns are excellent cop or self defense guns. They're simply so tolerant of abuse and so reliable even when abused... The mechanism and design is simple, and free of extraneous elements. There's just not much to go wrong -- and when it does, it's usually shooter induced and cleared easily.

Sigs are great guns, too. But they're also more finicky. Not so familiar with Kahr -- but haven't heard anything really bad about 'em either.
I wasn't saying anyone here was that way. I just know a couple guys that buy anything and everything with the word Glock hats shirts knives glasses ect

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And feed it a variety of ammo while testing it! I made a mistake buying a Walther PK380 after only firing one brand through it. Other people swear by theirs but I only swear at mine.

Ya know the thought of firing a variety of ammo through what I'm testing never occurred to me. Great suggestion! :asian: