Just want to share

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Amazing how far you can go as long as you have even 1 superior technique like Joe Lewis' sidekick. Less is more.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terryl when I was a kid Marvelous Super Star Chuck Norris was my hero and my role to emulate, however I have to admit that Joe Lewis was one of the best karate fighters on earth, Lewis was so strong and fast that was the epitome of his time. Joe Lewis really kicked and punched hard, he was to me one of the best.

Manny

sempai little1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Chuck Norris, Joe Lewis are both great fighters no doubt there. But my favorit is Bill "superfoot" Wallace.
I was lucky enough to be at two of his workshops. He always did the morning stretches and a kicking workshop.
He was funny as hell.
He brought up some Black Belt super star, tell him "ok I am going to kick you with my left leg and hit your head, are you ready". They could never stop his kick and that was about 5 years ago.
Funny classy guy.

Your friend,
Sempai Little1 :wavey:

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
The legends for me: Mike Stone, Chuck Norris, Joe Lewis.
The good fighters: Benny (the Jet) Urkidez, Jean Ives Thierault, Bill "Super Foot" Wallace, Rob Kaman.

Thera re so many legands and so many good fighters biut for me the three legends and The Jet Urkidez are the top.

Manny

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Got this DVD when Jon Graden was selling them and before the court order stopping him from selling them due to some copyright violation.

Hosted a seminar with Joe Lewis once. Great stuff. Notice how he grabs David moon's sleeve, and how Lewis sleeves are short?

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
How interesting that despite the deep stances and way less fany kicks its a 150% more interesting to watch than todays sparring.

Dave O.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How interesting that despite the deep stances and way less fany kicks its a 150% more interesting to watch than todays sparring.

Dave O.

Yes, the common theme seems to be that any mistake made is immediately responded to with a scoring kick or punch. It makes you almost afraid to attack!

I've enjoyed the first video as well as the other related ones on Youtube. Thanks, Manny.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, the common theme seems to be that any mistake made is immediately responded to with a scoring kick or punch. It makes you almost afraid to attack!

I've enjoyed the first video as well as the other related ones on Youtube. Thanks, Manny.
Yeah, that is why point sparring should be continuous. Most time it is easier to counter, so when attacking you tend to get points by countering the counter. You have to setup your attacks with multiples so that is why combonations are made. You attack to open up your opponent. Most of the time when attacking it is not the first hit that will make contact but the second or third.

This is why point sparring is not good. May be fun to watch as you get to clearly see all counter points and it looks cool (more like the movies) but not real enough. When you stop the action after each point you limit (actually stop or prevent) the essence of martial arts, as there is no ebb and flow to the combat. You do not think past one or maybe two moves. In reality you have to think many moves in sucsession one right after another within milli seconds.

Just my .02