Judo's FLYING JUJI-GATAME!

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Here's a site from the 1983 Paris Championship of the Russian DIVISENKO (95kg) applying the flying juji-gatame, Tobi juji-gatame: it was Divisenko which made the flying juji-gatame famous:

http://www.judojudo.com/RJ%20Paris.html

also, the Japanese player, Tori Tomo (-66kg) also used it in the Parisian tournament.

OP
J

JDenz

okay not as impressive looking as the flying triangle or the flying uma platta but still nice. I think Primo likes them so he can feel taller for a minute.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice techniques exacuted by people who obviously practice them alot.
For the average player they would be dangerous to try and would most likey cost the match because of the difficulty in preforming them correctly

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

tshadowchaser said:
Nice techniques exacuted by people who obviously practice them alot.
For the average player they would be dangerous to try and would most likey cost the match because of the difficulty in preforming them correctly
Yes, absolutely, as you know, you are not taught kansetsu waza in Judo until you reach the brown belt level (sankyu, nikyu, ikkyu).

The flying juji-gatame is very advanced and usually is performed in tournament by Nidans through Godans.

Also, even if done correctly, it might scare the referree who isn't familiar with it and he'll score it against you. Same goes for standing chokes and standing arm-bars.

But the point is that the flying arm-bar goes back in Judo to its very beginning.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
Yes, absolutely, as you know, you are not taught kansetsu waza in Judo until you reach the brown belt level (sankyu, nikyu, ikkyu).
in the USJA you are required to test on one kansetsu waza of your choice for yonkyu...so you start learning joint locking in that organization at the level of gokyu...maybe even earlier....i know i've worked kansetsu waza and i'm only a rokyu...

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
in the USJA you are required to test on one kansetsu waza of your choice for yonkyu...so you start learning joint locking in that organization at the level of gokyu...maybe even earlier....i know i've worked kansetsu waza and i'm only a rokyu...
It is probably because you're a senior. I started judo at 8 or 9 years old, and I had to wait until I was 13 to learn shime-waza, and wait until I was (16) a sankyu to learn kansetsu-waza. The seniors are accelerated because they're older and have a higher learning curve.

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
those are nice tech's! makes me want to go back to judo, but i can't do kenpo and judo at the same time. :rolleyes: oh well..

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
JDenz said:
okay not as impressive looking as the flying triangle or the flying uma platta but still nice. I think Primo likes them so he can feel taller for a minute.

Yes I do feel taller :boing1: :boing1: :boing1: :boing1:

Flying Leg Lock is is my fav of the flying Submissons
it's also a bit safer on my head :ultracool

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
Here's a nice little demonstration of Judo's flying juji-gatame! What's your opinion on this dramatic judo technique?

http://www.judoclub.ca/mpegs/flying.mpg

My Opiion is it is a very Flashy Yet Effective Move
That is performed By a Skilled Martial Artist.

I have Used Flying Juji as well as Kani Sangaku
Kani Hizajujigatame These Moves can be performed
Wright after a Sprawal.

Your apponet Shoots for Morte Gari U Sprawl & Rise
To Your Feat While Your apponent is On his knees U
can Make a Leap around The Neck for a Triangel or Arm Lock.

Warning Not for Beginers!

Latest Discussions