Judo: Sport or martial art?

Robert Carver

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can you believe it? On the Kodokan’s own website are photos of Japanese Judoka NOT ONLY wearing the blue judogi (not gi, judogi) but also wearing sweatsuits, just like lowly athletes!

http://www.budoseek.net/temp/photo.jpg
http://www.budoseek.net/temp/photo2.jpg
http://www.budoseek.net/temp/photo3.jpg
http://www.budoseek.net/temp/photo4.jpg

Yes, these photo come from the World Championships, but why would the Kodokan desecrate their site with photos of their Judoka in blue judogi and sweatsuits? What is the world coming too?

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Robert Carver said:
Can you believe it? On the Kodokan’s own website are photos of Japanese Judoka NOT ONLY wearing the blue judogi (not gi, judogi) but also wearing sweatsuits, just like lowly athletes!

http://www.budoseek.net/temp/photo.jpg
http://www.budoseek.net/temp/photo2.jpg
http://www.budoseek.net/temp/photo3.jpg
http://www.budoseek.net/temp/photo4.jpg

Yes, these photo come from the World Championships, but why would the Kodokan desecrate their site with photos of their Judoka in blue judogi and sweatsuits? What is the world coming too?

Say Tony,

We all know by now that the Japanese only wear the blue gi at international judo events. What was the point of these pictures? Warm up suits aren't even part of the issue?
The Kodokan is into appeasement. Plus they are justly proud of their international gold medal winning champions. That's why the those pictures are published, not for the garrish blue gi.

Relax Tony, relax.

Robert Carver

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh I am relaxed Jack, Alice, Patrick and Keelhaulhim.

IP Address 18.51.2.19 - Host name: SCI09.MIT.EDU = Patrick Skerry
IP Address 18.51.2.19 - Host name: SCI09.MIT.EDU = Alice Knowles

Having an identity crisis are we?

Everyone here has been upfront with who they are, their qualifications, training, etc. You on the other hand seem to want to hide in the shadows of the internet under a variety of aliases. You are a troll who does not even have the personal integrity to be straight about who you are, and to back up your statements by qualifying your level of training and experience. You make wild arsed statements like "Kano was critical of Mifune" or other such nonsense, and cannot back up your statements with fact. Yet, you keep bringing up the straw dog of blue judogi and the “sportification” of Judo as some issue that will soil the art. In reality, it is folks like you, that does not have the integrity to follow rules that you agreed to (at BudoSeek!) or the intestinal fortitude to identify yourself publicly when you stand up for what you believe that will be the ruin of Judo.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who is obviously unarmed.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
crikey, i think robert's got it...i think it's about time i hung up the hunting hat too, eh mates...what do you say...we leave this troll alone in 'is natural 'abitat and we go throw another shrimp on the barbie....

Mekugi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The IJF does not enforce this not imose this on any locally acting ORG FED or otherwise. CLEARLY STATED this is again repeated after you have blatently lied. The AJJF toes the line for the IJF in International events (such as the one in Osaka). I am going to call the AJJF in three minutes, to ask about the Golden Score.

No blue gi used in Japan despite the IJF. Something Mekugi and you are at a lost to explain.

Take it easy Tony.

Mekugi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ahhh yes, the power of communication.

I just got off the phone with the AJJF and a very nice young woman (the office was closed, but I got through to the front desk) and this is how it falls:

GOLDEN SCORE:

In Japan they use two sets of rules, as it is ALLOWED by the IJF. They have the choice to use the AJJF rule - OR -they use the IJF rules. Generally, if there is an International Event in Japan, sanctioned/sponsred by the IJF with or without inbersment to the IJF, they agree beforehand as which set of rules to adhere to. BOTTOM LINE AND FROM THE HORSE. That is why they have the scoreboards set up to display the Golden Score. So, it's not about defiance, it's about what rules they are choosing to use. Period. They use both AJJF and IJF rules.

BLUE UWAGI (Yes, it's never Gi, unless I am talking to you foreigners ;) )

Japan does not use the blue Uwagi for AJJF Rules. They only use the blue Uwagi for events that are using IJF rules (see above) or the Olympics and other matches that they attend using the IJF rules.

Too bad, so sad!

Mekugi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lessgo check out them Sheilas over at the water hole mate!

bignick said:
crikey, i think robert's got it...i think it's about time i hung up the hunting hat too, eh mates...what do you say...we leave this troll alone in 'is natural 'abitat and we go throw another shrimp on the barbie....

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mekugi, I think you have taken the touchdown, spiked the ball, and are doing your victory dance.

The troll-hunters dance with you! :)

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
another succussful hunt in the books...

i'm gonna mount dis one right in me livin' room...

OP
A

auxprix

I am glad to see the Judo forums actually being used for once, it was just Big Nick and I here for a while. I just wish we could have a decent thread, instead of running around in circles over this stupid Blue Gi issue (which 'Patrick' always comes back to.)

Mekugi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You're all right, it's really sad that it had to come down to this to get activity in the Judo folder. LAME.

BTW....have you seen the Mifune video Asahi Shimbun did some 40+ years ago...the guy was uncanny.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yes...when he was working with the '64 judo team? it was unbelievable...

OP
B

Baytor

Well, I was offline most of the weekend, so I missed the grand finale. Sounds like the hunt is over, but it was fun while it lasted. I may stop back around though, it was a good time hanging out with you guys.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Mekugi said:
Ahhh yes, the power of communication.

I just got off the phone with the AJJF and a very nice young woman (the office was closed, but I got through to the front desk) and this is how it falls:

GOLDEN SCORE:

In Japan they use two sets of rules, as it is ALLOWED by the IJF. They have the choice to use the AJJF rule - OR -they use the IJF rules. Generally, if there is an International Event in Japan, sanctioned/sponsred by the IJF with or without inbersment to the IJF, they agree beforehand as which set of rules to adhere to. BOTTOM LINE AND FROM THE HORSE. That is why they have the scoreboards set up to display the Golden Score. So, it's not about defiance, it's about what rules they are choosing to use. Period. They use both AJJF and IJF rules.

BLUE UWAGI (Yes, it's never Gi, unless I am talking to you foreigners ;) )

Japan does not use the blue Uwagi for AJJF Rules. They only use the blue Uwagi for events that are using IJF rules (see above) or the Olympics and other matches that they attend using the IJF rules.

Too bad, so sad!
Hi Russ,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to prove what I was stating all along - that the Japanese do not use the blue gi in their AJJF sanctioned competitions in Japan. I always like it when I'm proved correct!

Now back to the topic, Judo is not a sport, the Japanese don't use the blue gi in their own tournaments, so the blue gi is just a western $portification of an Asian martial art.

Thanks again Russ for substantiating my claim!

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Mekugi said:
Umm yeah, that's a Kagami Biraki. Year opening ceremony. Nice try.
You don't see any blue gi's do you?

Latest Discussions