Judo in Oprah Magazine!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My mother pointed out to me that the October 2005 issue of Oprah magazine, now on the stands, has an article on a 92 year old judoka who is, at 9th dan, the highest-ranked woman in the sport. The article itself focuses on the author's experience at this instructor's school.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This sounds great Arnisador. Although i'm not a judo practitioner, i'd still like to give a read. I think it's incredible to still be teaching/training at that "advanced" age. Thanks.

Donna :)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder if she still takes falls? I wonder if taking falls strengthened her skeleton?

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It said she has Parkinson's disease and uses a cane but that she did do some techniques on people, and still teaches class. Very inspiring!

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
at 9th dan, the highest-ranked woman in the sport

This would have to be Keiko Fukuda Sensei. Her grandfather taught Jujutsu to Jigaro Kano, the Judo founder. As far as I know she still lives in California and actively teaches. I don't think she takes break falls anymore.

http://judoinfo.com/fukuda.htm

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, that's her! I didn't realize the part about her grandfather having taught the founder!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, my judo instructor, who is a camp director at Fukuda Sensei's annual Joshi Judo Camp, told me about the article. I asked if she could just copy it, because who knows what would happen to my reputation if I was caught reading "O". :ultracool:

K Williams

Blue Belt
Reaction score
After reading this thread, I picked up my girlfriends O magazine. She had this big grin on her face. I made it clear that that would be the first and last time that I read Oprah's magazine! :D

Latest Discussions