Journalists urged caution after Ft. Hood, now race to blame Palin after Arizona shootings

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Journalists urged caution after Ft. Hood, now race to blame Palin after Arizona shootings
By Byron York Washington Examiner EXCERPT:

Created Jan 9 2011 - 8:58am

On November 5, 2009, Maj. Nidal Hasan opened fire at a troop readiness center in Ft. Hood, Texas, killing 13 people. Within hours of the killings, the world knew that Hasan reportedly shouted "Allahu Akbar!" before he began shooting, visited websites associated with Islamist violence, wrote Internet postings justifying Muslim suicide bombings, considered U.S. forces his enemy, opposed American involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan as wars on Islam, and told a neighbor shortly before the shootings that he was going "to do good work for God." There was ample evidence, in other words, that the Ft. Hood attack was an act of Islamist violence.
Nevertheless, public officials, journalists, and commentators were quick to caution that the public should not "jump to conclusions" about Hasan's motive. CNN, in particular, became a forum for repeated warnings that the subject should be discussed with particular care.
"The important thing is for everyone not to jump to conclusions," said retired Gen. Wesley Clark on CNN the night of the shootings.
"We cannot jump to conclusions," said CNN's Jane Velez-Mitchell that same evening. "We have to make sure that we do not jump to any conclusions whatsoever."
"I'm on Pentagon chat room," said former CIA operative Robert Baer on CNN, also the night of the shooting. "Right now, there's messages going back and forth, saying do not jump to the conclusion this had anything to do with Islam."
The next day, President Obama underscored the rapidly-forming conventional wisdom when he told the country, "I would caution against jumping to conclusions until we have all the facts." In the days that followed, CNN jouralists and guests repeatedly echoed the president's remarks.
"We can't jump to conclusions," Army Gen. George Casey said on CNN November 8. The next day, political analyst Mark Halperin urged a "transparent" investigation into the shootings "so the American people don't jump to conclusions." And when Republican Rep. Pete Hoekstra, then the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, suggested that the Ft. Hood attack was terrorism, CNN's John Roberts was quick to intervene. "Now, President Obama has asked people to be very cautious here and to not jump to conclusions," Roberts said to Hoekstra. "By saying that you believe this is an act of terror, are you jumping to a conclusion?"
Fast forward a little more than a year, to January 8, 2011. In Tucson, Arizona, a 22 year-old man named Jared Lee Loughner opened fire at a political event, gravely wounding Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, killing a federal judge and five others, and wounding 18. In the hours after the attack, little was known about Loughner beyond some bizarre and largely incomprehensible YouTube postings that, if anything, suggested he was mentally ill. Yet the network that had shown such caution in discussing the Ft. Hood shootings openly discussed the possibility that Loughner was inspired to violence by…Sarah Palin. Although there is no evidence that Loughner was in any way influenced by Palin, CNN was filled with speculation about the former Alaska governor.
After reporting that Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik had condemned what Dupnik called "the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government," CNN's Wolf Blitzer turned to congressional reporter Jessica Yellin for analysis. The sheriff "singled out some of the political rhetoric, as you point out, in creating the environment that allowed this kind of instance to happen," Yellin told Blitzer. "Even though, as you point out, this suspect is not cooperating with investigators, so we don't know the motive. President Obama also delivered that message, saying it's partly the political rhetoric that led to this.
END EXCERPT

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That couldn't be because when radical Muslims are rightly accused they go on murderous sprees, in exactly the same way wrongly accused conservatives don't, could it? Because the safe target is less likely to kill you?

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The media sucks plain and simple.
I have read so many stories that are sensationalized and politicized lately it isnt even funny. The Media seems unwilling to get truth out there anymore, or news, it seems they are simply out to make the most sensational story, and push their agenda.
Its really bad.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
screen-shot-2011-01-08-at-3-05-33-pm.png

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ok sorry to be ignorant here, but whats daily KOS?

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have posted elsewhere about who commits political violence and I have to say it is not the right. Good find Ballen. And I am not saying the daily kos insights violence, my posts go to other, actually violent acts.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which ones, the most political violence I have seen comes from the left, and it usually involves throwing things through the windows of a starbucks.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
the army of god and groups like that . Admittedly religious extremists but their beliefs are widly considered to be on the right. 'the religious right' they're called.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.newsrealblog.com/2011/01...rizona-shooter-blame-palin-and-the-tea-party/

Blaming the Tea Party is not only outrageous and wrong, but Walsh ignores actual facts when she asks, “Can’t we agree to stop urging supporters to ‘reload’ or pursue ‘Second Amendment remedies’?” Tea Party rallies have never incited violence, nor have any tea partiers committed murder, burned banks, blown up cars and cities, burned down car dealerships or new housing developments in the name of the environment, nor do tea partiers hurl bottle rockets at onlookers and beat up pedestrians while marching. That is what the Left does, not conservatives standing together for just government reform.

Heated rhetoric is not a call for violence … unless it’s actually a call for violence, as with anti-American left-wing terrorists Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn. Heated rhetoric is simply loud voices raised the way America’s Founding Fathers did against the British, and one another, when rallying for reform.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
“if they bring a knife, we bring a gun,” -President Obama

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks Archangel, the list of lefty violence is long and deep. I actually had that criminal Bill Ayers give a lecture to my history class. What a moron. His wife is just as bad. Can you imagine that they are personal friends with the president of the United States?

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score

Latest Discussions