Jiu-Jitsu Uniform Sizing Help (Japanese)

twinxsta

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok so i've looked into uniforms online at several different sites and using the advice/info that i got from my last post i've figured out what color and what type i want/need....etc.......my next question is about sizing....my problem that i'm having is that the sizing charts are a little weird.....i'm approx 6ft to 6ft 1" tall and somewhere between 230 and 240lbs my waist size is between 36 and 40 depending on what i'm wearing......
.....however....the uniform sizing charts that i've seen online go something like this...

size 5..... 5ft 9" to 6ft.... waist is 33" to 40".......190lbs
size 6......6ft 1" to 6ft 4"...waist is 35" to 50".......220lbs
size 7......6ft 5" to 6ft 8"...waist is 38" to 52".......240lbs

can somebody shed some light on this....if i had to take a wild guess i would probably go for size 6 because the height wouldn't be too tall the waist would be perfect and 220lbs i'm sure these things do stretch a hair.......but it just seems to me that the spread on the sizes is a little weird......i mean i know that you should weigh 190lbs if you're 6ft tall but unfortunately thats not always the case lol......any (more) help is greatly appreciated and thanx to all that helped me out by replying the my previous post about uniforms......

and also...(A question that should have been asked to the sensei) i'm very aware that when you first begin you are a "white belt" at least that is how it works in the judo belt system which is the system used for the Jiu Jitsu i'm(very soon to be) taking.....i'm only semi aware of proper dojo etiquette(hope i spelled that right) but i'm curious if when i do purchase my first uniform if i'm supposed to also buy a white belt......i just know that belts are supposed to be earned and whatnot and i don't want to offend any instructors by walking into a dojo with a belt...i would imagine that this wouldn't matter for a white belt since thats a starting level but you never know........once again thanx

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As with everything Japanese ... it depends. :) Really, it depends upon the fabric of the uniform. In your case, I would guess that a five would fit better as a size six may be a bit too large. However, a cotton uniform will shrink, therefore you need it to be a little large to begin.

What I would suggest is that you figure out what on-line store you would prefer to purchase from, then ask your sensei what you should get, what color, what type material, and in what size. He will be able to tell you just what you should purchase, including belt. You can also ask if he has an opinion on the on-line store you decided upon. He may be set up with a dojo discount to a particular store.

Koshou911

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Go by the weight first then the height if you are borderline with the ranges. you can always have the Gi tailored to fit (shorten the sleeves and pants) but its harder to let out the shoulders and stomach area.

I am about 5'8 200lbs and I have 2 Gis, one is a 5 and the other is a 6 they fit differently because they are made buy different manufacturers but I always go by the weight when ordering a gi and its worked for me so far. If I were you (6'1 240lbs) I would order the size 7 and have the pants and sleeves shortened

YinYang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am 5'9" and 245 pounds, I wear a size 5 Judo gi, top fits about right, pants are still a bit tight on my fat a$$- But, Im on a diet and exercise program, already lost 12 pounds (was 256 at one point not long ago) and hope to loose more. :-0

Hope that helps,
Andrew

Latest Discussions