Japanese Martial Sports?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know about the following traditional Japanese martial sports (by traditional I mean to exclude point karate, the modern jujutsu competitions, shootfighting, etc.):

Judo
Sumo

Kendo
Jukendo
Naginatado
Kyudo

(I know some would disagree about Kyudo, but they do have competitions.) Are there others? I know for example that there's a version of kyudo done on horseback--does it have competitions? Is there competitive sparring in Jodo?

N

nbcdecon

I will get some video footage of the sumo, Kyudo, batto, Kendo, I may get some Judo and submission stuff on tape. I will send you the tape just email me. John

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds cool! If you do make such a tape, just give it to Mr. Hartman next time you see him--I see him often enough.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by arnisador

(I know some would disagree about Kyudo, but they do have competitions.) Are there others? I know for example that there's a version of kyudo done on horseback--does it have competitions? Is there competitive sparring in Jodo?

The horse back kyudo is Yabusame and they have demonstration every so often.

Jodo competiton.........never heard of any...could be.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SHOOT FIGHTING is Wicked Sweet.

:armed:
Good Stuff

S

Shinzu

i know shotokan karate also has a sport side to it. it seems to me that most japanese styles promode competition.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was thinking more of pure sport arts but indeed there is sport karate!

:jedi1:

K

Kempo Guy

There's Iaido and tameshigiri (batto) competitions, Sports Chambara (chambarado) and Aikido competitions (both in Shodokan/Tomiki and Ki Aikido). There's also the "knockdown karate" tournaments (Kyokushin and various off-shoots).

Latest Discussions