It's a Boy!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Japan's Newborn Prince Already Faces Pressure to Produce Heir

The newest heir to the world's oldest monarchy is less than a day old and already has a significant duty to perform: produce a prince of his own. Japan's Princess Kiko, wife of the second son of Emperor Akihito, today gave birth to the first male born to the imperial family in almost 41 years. Females cannot succeed to the throne, so the boy becomes third in line after his uncle Crown Prince Naruhito, 46, and his father Prince Akishino, 40.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was surprised that even the news reports this morning did not know the gender of the child-to-be. You would think they would have some of those in-the-womb pictures, wouldn't you?

I'm sure there are celebrations in Japan today.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pass the Sake!

Wonder if the kid knows he's got to have one of his own? Boy talk about pre-teen pressure! Geez.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was surprised that even the news reports this morning did not know the gender of the child-to-be. You would think they would have some of those in-the-womb pictures, wouldn't you?

I'm sure there are celebrations in Japan today.

Well, the parents did not want to know the gender of the kid. That is why it was a big surprise. Well, kind of a surprise. It was a 50/50 thing after all.

And to say this is big news in Japan is like saying Attila the Hun had an attitude problem. I can't get away from the story. They were even commenting on the background music and how there was no preference from the parents. :barf:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Will they have him marry young? What's the lower limit there?

I hear a comedy skit coming on.

"The Imperial Dating Game!!!!"

And FYI, some fringe folks were even talking about setting up the current crown prince with concubines to produce a male heir. We might start hearing more talk like this in about 16 or so years unless there is anyone else born. AFAIK, this guy is first male born to the imperial family in 41 years! There is no one else close to taking the thrown under that age right now! Unless the crown prince comes up with a boy or he has a younger brother, there will be no one they can go to by the time this guy is out of college.