Italian soldiers floored by 77-year-old Japanese woman

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's pretty cool.

Here in San Francisco, there is an old Japanese woman who runs a judo dojo and has been teaching for over 70 years. I think she must be pushing 90 or so. She only teaches women, and I've seen here group do demos. Pretty amazing to see someone at that age, still doing this kind of thing.

I haven't seen them in a number of years so I suspect she may be getting frail and perhaps isn't as active herself anymore, but when I saw her, I think she was into her 80s.

impressive, what people can do.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool.

Here in San Francisco, there is an old Japanese woman who runs a judo dojo and has been teaching for over 70 years. I think she must be pushing 90 or so. She only teaches women, and I've seen here group do demos. Pretty amazing to see someone at that age, still doing this kind of thing.

I haven't seen them in a number of years so I suspect she may be getting frail and perhaps isn't as active herself anymore, but when I saw her, I think she was into her 80s.

That'd be Keiko Fukuda, sensei. One of the last living Kano students, and a student of Mifune as well......don't think she "teaches" much, anymore-she sits in on classes, and occasionally gets on the mat....cool lady.

Oh, here's a link.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score

Certainly, we are our own worst enemies. In the case of age, the trick is to stay active. Preferably with heavy exercise, not just walking. Ever notice how the guys that stay in really good shape as they get older can still be physically impressive and usually look younger? Chuck Norris is 68 for crying out loud! He could pass for early 50's, easy. GMs Pick and Cornejo are both "rich in experience" but are still physically powerful, and could pass as much younger. Further examples abound. There is also a fair amount of research to back this up.

If you want to live long, hit the gym!

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
It is inspiring to see those two women continuing to pursue and practice their respective passions. Here is a YouTube clip of an amazing 90 year old eskrimador named Antonio "Tatang" Illustrisimo. The action really picks up around the 2:30 mark.

Take care,
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How 'bout Helio Gracie. The guy's in his 90's, and still rolls on the mat and wins! Pretty amazing to think it's the same guy we see in all those fight clips on black and white...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes that is her and it is cool. I always enjoy training with martial artists that have been around for a long time. Always a treat to learn from their wisdom.

I couldn’t agree more, the times I have been lucky enough to train with or learn from some of the older generation of martial artists that walk with the giants of their, and our, day I have always found myself in awe of what they know, both skill and history.

Keiko Wakabayshi knew and trained with Kano and Mifune that is very impressive to me. The things she must know about the history of Judo that the rest of us can only speculate about.

For the first time in my life I actually would not mind moving to Northern Italy