It’ll Be Hard Now... Madcity (Madison, Wisconsin)

Madcity

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was directed here from another post at the suggestion of a member and just thought I would take a moment to drop in and say hi.

When I was a kid I remember wanting to take martial arts for the longest time. It was a hard sell for my parents and instead they put me in various sports things I never liked and summer camps (which were ok) but nothing ever stuck.

Finally when I was in high school I made friends with three people who all took martial arts at the same school. I was able to convince my parents to let me sign up, and felt like it was something I could really enjoy. I took Karate for about a year and a half before switching high schools made it difficult to continue.

After graduation and the years that followed I always wanted to get back into it, but financially couldn’t swing it. Finally after getting a wakeup call from my doctor about my poor lifestyle and health I decided I needed to bite the bullet and take responsibility for myself.

I started dieting, eating better, lost about 40+ pounds, quit drinking all the time, started exercising and generally just pushing myself to do better. I decided I wanted to commit to Martial Arts again after years of making up excuses about time and money and started selling off most of what I own to pay for classes.

It has been one of the best decisions I have made in a long time and the fact that I am responsible for maintaining it makes me more motivated than ever to do so. I realize what a good thing I wasted when I was younger and when my parents were paying for me to take classes.

I voiced this feeling to my instructor (who knew me when I was younger) and he said that he does not believe in fate but that he thinks life takes us where we need to go when it’s time. He pointed out things I might not have learned (academically, job training, etc.) had I taken a different path to where I am now.

I was looking through some of his pictures on Facebook and there was one he “liked” from someone that had a picture of a woman giving her all to complete a marathon or some strenuous training. The picture was captioned by her and said:

“I can almost guarantee if you give up now, you’ll give it another shot someday. Maybe in a month. Maybe 6 days. Maybe even 14. But I know you want this, and you won’t stop until you get it.
So don’t stop NOW. Because when you start again, you’re going to look and think “Why the hell didn’t I keep going?”
It’ll be hard now, or it’ll be hard later. YOU PICK…”

It’s great to be here! Thanks all…

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome through the doors, Madcity. Plenty to browse through and talk about here. So wander about a bit, chat to some locals and pull up a pew :).

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

Thanks for sharing your journey, and that's what MT is all about!

Chris

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great introduction, welcome to the site. Enjoy!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome!
Now, in response to the title:
[h=2]It’ll Be Hard Now...[/h]Only one response will suffice:
That's what she said.

Latest Discussions