Is this a problem

K

Kenpo Yahoo

I saw this on another forum, and thought I might share to see what you guys thought. Is Image theft becoming a problem or do you feel that this isn't that big a deal.

-----------www.kenponet.com--------------------
Can you say ripoff?
by Trademark Concerns
Can you say ripoff. Look at the AKKI crest.
akkicrstw-mp.gif

Now follow this link and look at the upper left corner of the banner and down the page at Bob Jones right shoulder.
banner.gif

LarryKrisI.gif

Is the Tatum group so desperate for attention that they are resorting to stealing other associations logos in hopes of confusing their clientele?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone else see a problem with this?

OP
M

M F

Now why would Mr. Jones want people to confuse him with a member of an organization whose system is based solely on "Gathering Clouds"? :D That is something he said at Kenponet a while back. I found it pretty funny.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Does it look like a rip-off?

Yes. But not just off the AKKI, the Tiger, Dragon, and Universal look like they were lifted off the AKKS patch.

Of course because all of these designs use the general themes and outline of the Parker IKKA patch, they all look like rip-offs to me.

At what point does a homage become a rip-off?

Lamont

PS: I don't think that is a "Tatum" patch, rather that it a studio patch or maybe a group of studios which are now affiliated with Mr. Tatum.

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

ikka_logo.gif

+
akkicrstw-mp.gif

+
euro_kenpo_crest.jpg

-----------------------------------------

=
banner.gif

what a jackass. He literally ripped-off three organizations to make his crest patch. Why would the Tatum group allow this?

OP
S

Shiatsu

Every kenpo patch is a off shoot of someone elses. Get over it.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is enough variation between the three pictures you posted that trademark violation would not be an issue should anyone try to challenge these crests legally.

Basically, they all come from the same kenpo root, so it wouldn't surprise me for them to retain some pictorial vestage of that heritage.

- Ceicei

OP
M

M F

What bothers me is that this guy was formerly affiliated with the AKKI. After leaving, he takes ALL of the elements of the AKKI crest that make it different, and copies them. That is bad business.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also you have to consider who designed the patches for the various Associations. I know the AKKS, AKTS, UKS, and Howard Silva's patches were all designed by Edmund. It would not surprise me at all to find he had designed other Associations.

I have a good random sampling, thanks in part to Billy Lear, who allowed me to ccpy some of the crests he had edited. Follow the link:

http://kenpo-texas.com/kenpolinks.htm

-Michael

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
I have a good random sampling, thanks in part to Billy Lear, who allowed me to ccpy some of the crests he had edited. Follow the link:

http://kenpo-texas.com/kenpolinks.htm

-Michael

Your link is amazing. I didn't realize how many different Kenpo crests/patches/icons/logos there are....

- Ceicei

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Wow. I'm reminded of the character Ruth in Stephen King's "The Tommyknockers," who tells a particularly-offensive yahoo, "Thank you," and then goes on to say something like,"I sometimes foolishly think that I have seen all the way to the bottom of the well of human stupidity, and it is good for me to be reminded from time to time that that particular well HAS no bottom."

Congrats, though, on a new low.

ALL the damn patches have common elements for the same reason that all the kids of a family look somewhat alike. What would actually be interesting--because ultimately, this sort of mean-spirited pettiness isn't interesting--would be to do a structuralist analysis of the relationships among all the patches.

If you're not sure of what that is, plug in, "structural study of myth," and do a Net search...

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo

I'm just having a hard time with the fact that two Tatum schools have found the need to blatently "steal" crest designs from other associations. Perhaps it's just coincidence

Seriously, who cares? Why all the bickering about such superficial crap. Get back into the studio and start studying.

OP
S

Shiatsu

With the slinging that your instructor that has been known to do, I don't think you have much room to talk. Remember the slinging he always says about, Arandas, Lim's, others need I go on, how the AKKI can't run successful schools. Ring any bells?

OP
S

Shiatsu

Nope wrong guy. But lots of former students.:asian:

OP
S

Shiatsu

Because of the lies and obvious slander that he imposes on former students.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

You know, it never fails to amaze me that people can get on these forums, make anonymous accusations unsupported by the slightest evidence, and then proceed to defend themselves against anybody who says, "hey, wait a minnit,"--as I'm sure will happen here--with prattle about honor.

It would be honorable--and better suited to the Constitution--to put one's name to such claims, bring evidence forward, and leave honor out of it.

Or am I getting this wrong, and I should hire somebody to sit in a tree outside my home school with a rifle, so that next time I'm supposed to spar, he can shoot my opponent and the instructor too if he raises an eyebrow?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, I took a look at the various patches....and yes, they are -similar-.

They are not identical however.

The 'flavor' of the patches is similar, as they both have a very similar layout (background crest, tiger, dragon, the big K), yet each representation is stylistically different. A bit of a flar here, a meaner/less mean tiger, different angles, etc.

At best, you can say they are all derivative works, yet each still maintains the relationship to the original.

I see nothing wrong with them...I mean, it could be worse...could feature Barney and Tony the Tiger.... :D

:asian: